Clown fish breeding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

circus clowns

Aquarium Advice Freak
WHo has more influence on genetics when it comes to clown fish. The mother or the father???anyone with information or experience please comment ...

circus clowns said:
WHo has more influence on genetics when it comes to clown fish. The mother or the father???anyone with information or experience please comment ...

It's always 50 50.

I took biology lol. No matter what living organism breed and have offspring, 50% is always from the father and 50% is always from the mother. If your talking about like black clowns and a orange clown breeding, the offspring will have half the genetics from both parents but the black color will be dominant over the orange most likely.

Jake337 said:
I took biology lol. No matter what living organism breed and have offspring, 50% is always from the father and 50% is always from the mother. If your talking about like black clowns and a orange clown breeding, the offspring will have half the genetics from both parents but the black color will be dominant over the orange most likely.

I don't know, there are many more orange clowns than black clowns so I would say orange may be dominant.

Saratj1 said:
I don't know, there are many more orange clowns than black clowns so I would say orange may be dominant.

Well it depends what your breeding. If your breeding 2 orange clowns the of course the offspring will turn out to be orange. But if you breed a black with a orange the offspring will be black unless one of the black's parent was an orange, his offspring will be 75% black and 25% orange.

Your right on everything except that if two oranges breed that doesn't mean your only gonna get orange. The new variations came from somewhere. You have to consider het genes so if the black and orange bred to create a orange the orange would be het black so bred to another orange you have 25% black.. genetics can become a little confusing when linebreeding and trying to bring out specific traits

Or maybe it would be 12.5% for first gen het to non het........like I said confusing haha

And also like the op was asking are not some things determined by the individual parent, like in humans the father determines the sex of the baby.

Ya genes are being re examined. Just recently they found out the same gene can cause two different effects on a child depending on which parent gives that gene. The hosts sex is "imprinted" on the genes in a sense.

Back
Top Bottom