Clown Fish Experts Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AccordAnimal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have heard different stories from different people on how clown fish react with each other and other fish. I am just looking for more opinions. Has anyone ever had any on hand experience with multiple clown fish in a smaller (30gal) tank, and generally how do they react with other fish.

I am planning on getting another clown for my 30.

I got one Saturday, and am planning on another in 1-2 weeks.

I am not even going to attempt that with tomatoe or clarkii or maroon clowns.

This is a perc, so I dont think it is that bad (and there is nothing in the tank besides some LR so there really isnt "territory" to claim yet).

Basically, with smaller clowns, stick to a single pair of the same species...no perc and a maroon mixers.

I have 2 clarkii clown in my tank. I bought them at the same time though. I haven't had any problems. If you decide to get a second clownfish, get another clarkii because from what I have heard mixing different spieces doesn't always go over to well. And I would probably try and get one around the same size or slightly larger than the one you already have. Because you already have one and it has already had some time to develop a territory I don't think I would put a smaller one in because it will be easier for a larger fish to pick on it.

well, i didn't have mine in a small tank but i had two clakii clowns that i bought together and kept for about a year. They were fine.....until the day the LFS told me that they would share an anemone. So i bought one. they fought over that thing so much i had to take one of them back to the store or it was going to get killed. 8O

Now once my sole clown was back to full health, he was very aggressive towards all the other fish and us if we came near his anemone. It got so bad that one of us would have to keep an eye on him during cleaning while the other would actually be cleaning the tank. If not then you would get bit....not that it hurts or anything, just startles you real good...lol :lol:

HTH

If you get another one get the absolutely smallest one you can of the same type. You want to get a small one to be sure you are getting one that hasn't turned into a female yet. If you don't have any yet, get two that are small and the larger one will become the female. You shouldn't have problems with territoriality in a 30g as long as you don't get an aggressive fish to go with them. Try to stick with things like blennies and gobies. No aggression and they won't get too big for the 30. Cardinals and chromis are good tank mates also. I have a maroon and two cardinals in a 20g together.

Back
Top Bottom