clown food question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
As per the advise from people on this web site I bought my 2 clowns some new food today. I got some mysis shrimp and spectrum pellet food. Now I have a couple more questions: I tried a few of the pellets when I got home from the lfs this morning and they sank straight to the bottom. Will the clowns eat them off the bottom? I cut off a small piece of the mysis tonight and thawed it in a cup of salt water. When I poured it in the tank, it went everywhere! The clowns did'nt know which way to go. Should I turn off all water flow when feeding? I just cut off a 1/4 of the cube. I that about the right amount for 2 clowns,2 peppermint shrimp and a handful of crabs?

hey sank straight to the bottom. Will the clowns eat them off the bottom
If they learn to like them they will. If they don't eat them withing a half hour, I would siphon them out. Don't need to foul the tank water.
I cut off a small piece of the mysis tonight and thawed it in a cup of salt water. When I poured it in the tank, it went everywhere
May want to drain the water off before putting the food in. Don't want the packaging juice going in.
Should I turn off all water flow when feeding?
No need, they will get to it. Once again if they learn to like it.
I would start out with even less than a 1/4 cube. Just put a little in, if they eat that then add a little more. I think 1/8 of a cube for 2 small clowns should be enough.
Don't want to leave too much uneaten food lying aroud rotting. Can take water quality south in a hurry. :wink:

Save yourself the trouble mate, I have 2 clowns too and they were meat eaters when I got them. After 2 weeks, they only eat marine flakes now, and they take them readily. Just cut the feedings until they are real hungry 3 days should do, then introduce a small amount of flake food, keep this up with intermitent meaty feedings and then taper off. It is so much easier than the meaty stuff, I still give them a meaty treat every now and then too. Get good quality marine flakes though. You'll save yourself getting your water dirty too. I've had them over a year now and they are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom