Clown hosting in open brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Found it odd since the open brain doesn't look/feel anything like an anemone, but my ocellaris seems to have taken up residence on my open brain. Hangs around it, rubbin on it constantly...

is that going to damage the brain long term? If so, would offering something else more appropriate (toadstool leather maybe?) possibly entice it away?

Thoughts?

I had a similar issue with my clowns and an elegance coral. I had to remove the coral as they wanted no part of anything else. They can host a coral to death without a doubt. Also, the clowns can nick themselves on any shrap parts of the skeleton of the coral so just watch them is my best advice.

good luck!

Don't worry about the brain. My pair has been attached to my brain for 3 years with no adverse effects. My clowns also go in my pulsing Xenia. At first the Xenia would close but now it is used to the fish.

image-3856446362.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it either. My clown hosted my clam until I moved the clam to the other side of the tank. Now he host my duncan coral and at first they would close up. Now they aren't bothered by him. They don't seem to mind him "sucking" on the tentacles anymore either.

Yea I was sortof hoping the clown would get attached to my GSP...but nope, this open brain is where he wants to be!

bighabeeb said:
Found it odd since the open brain doesn't look/feel anything like an anemone, but my ocellaris seems to have taken up residence on my open brain. Hangs around it, rubbin on it constantly...

is that going to damage the brain long term? If so, would offering something else more appropriate (toadstool leather maybe?) possibly entice it away?

Thoughts?

I would not worry unless you see it being too rough with it. Mine have hosted many corals.

Well its looking like I may be removing the open brain today. After adding a few fish, and having them disappear with no sign, I started sitting up late with a flash light and last night hit pay dirt.

My open brain has been eating...really, REALLY well. Might explain why the feeders were never out when I wanted to feed it after the lights went out. It would appear that he's eaten a total of:
1. small sleeper goby
2. royal gramma
3. small firefish (this is the one I witnessed the very end of)
4. peppermint shrimp

Very sad as this is by far my favorite coral, but my wife is pretty fed up with the amazing vanishing fishies. Sadness.

Back
Top Bottom