Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Clownfish aggression problem

Hey guys! So a few weeks ago, I admittedly impulse bought a midnight ocellaris clownfish that was on sale at $11 (for that kind of price, can you really blame me? &#128514, but I made the mistake of purchasing one that was quite a bit larger than my already established clown in my main aquarium that was without another clown for some months. I introduced the midnight to him/her, and I saw some minor aggression toward the established clown ensue. I didn't think much of it at first, since I know this is a common thing among clown conspecifics, and because I read on another page that even female ocellaris clowns have some tolerance for one another. But after a while, I noticed the aggression start to intensify, as the midnight would chase the first clown quite a lot, and her charges looked quite angry. I removed her, and put her on "time out" in a breeder box for a few days. I let her out to give her a second chance, but nothing had changed (to the point where she even held the first clownfish in her mouth) and she is now back in the breeder box awaiting what when I figure out what to do with her.

So my question is, is this normal dominant behavior in pairs of female clownfish, and can female ocellaris clowns even live together? Could mine be both female, or is one still male? Should I remove the midnight from the aquarium entirely, or should I give her another chance? Thanks in advance for all replies!

- Diego

Old 06-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Most likely both are female. If the aggression is to the point where you feel it could be deadly while they figure out who is going to be what in your tank, as adding a smaller clown is more likely to be successful to an established clown as you said, remove the one and rearrange the rock in the tank. Give a shot at resetting established territory and introduce the clowns to the system again.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Most likely both are female. If the aggression is to the point where you feel it could be deadly while they figure out who is going to be what in your tank, as adding a smaller clown is more likely to be successful to an established clown as you said, remove the one and rearrange the rock in the tank. Give a shot at resetting established territory and introduce the clowns to the system again.
Will definitely try it out! Need to find a place to put the 1st clown during that, but it shouldn't be a problem that I can't work out. Thanks!

- Diego

Tags
aggression, clown, clownfish, fish, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Wilting leather | - »