Clownfish and anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello once again everyone. Today my question is about types of clownfish. For my 600litre system I would to get a clownfish or clownfish pair that will host an anemone. I don't really like clownfish on there own but swimming in and out of anemone it's just amazing.

I have a bubble tip anemone growing in my frag tank at the moment. I don't really have a limit on size of clownfish. So I guess I just want a clownfish specie that is most likely to host my bubble tip anemone?

Thanks for the replies and thanks for taking your time to read this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some common ocellaris clowns would do the ticket...but keep in mind that there is no way to make this symbiotic relationship occur. The clowns might have no interest and the anemone might not let them do it. In my tank, it took almost a year for the clowns to even show any interest in one of the anemone I had in my tank. It is a shot in the dark if this will occur.

Clarkiis or maroons would probably take to the nem faster. Skunks as well. Ocellaris will but it can take them a bit

I have heard that you can tape a photo of a clown fish in an anemone to the tank near where your Anemone is and the clown fish will learn to use it. I have no idea if that actually works and I haven't tried it yet myself. I have a mated pair of clownfish that, unfortunately, prefer to hang out wherever the cleaning magnet is at the time.

I`ve never heard of that method. But as mentioned there is no guarantee that it will take to the anemone. It did not happen for me.

One of my clowns were hosted by a Duncan. Now they are paired up and they moved into a waving hand. Looks just like swimming in and out of an anemone but way easier to maintain.

Funny but my occ. hasn't taken to mine yet but when I moved some rocks in my tank and got near the nem he started biting me lol

Just make sure whatever clown(s) you get are small. I've seen anemones be harassed to death by clowns that were a little large for it.

Back
Top Bottom