Clownfish and anenomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought two anemone with my two clowns. The clowns were the only clowns in the tank at the store with many anemone. Within weeks one of the clowns got bigger and was rather bossy to the smaller one altho it was obvious she loved him as she'd never let him get to far from her or she'd go get him. Even tho at the pet store both clowns dove in and out of both the anemones I bought they only bonded with one of the anemone. I had put on at one end of the tank and one at the other as that was the way they were set up in the tank at the store. The bigger clown dominated the anemone but let him come sleep with her. They were so wonderful to watch. And then the anemone got sick and got smaller and smaller until it died. It was awful!

The other anemone is doing great and looks wonderfully healthy and I think has grown. I don't want to move him as he is doing so well where he is, but my clowns won't go to far from thier spot or territory. I have a 75 gallon 1 1/2 year old reef tank, live rock and sand -- well it's in the growing process. Should I move the anemone or find another for my clowns is my delema?

I have had an algae bloom and the clowns have taken to a spot of rock that they treat just like an anemoe. They sleep on it and rub and snuggle it and tell everyone else to stay away from it. So I never scrub the algeae off that spot. It's rather sweet but I wonder if they miss having an anemone.

I guess I'm long winded but I just find all these guys so fasinating and think everyone will want to know every little detail.

Thanks
Betsy

They have a ton of personality, don't they?

First quick note, the one clown that got bigger, most likely is also turning into a female. Clown fish are neat that way.

Clowns are also very picky about their homes. There's no real way to convince them to move into an anemone. They either like it or they don't.

I wouldn't move your anemone. If it is healthy there then it is probably best to leave him be. If you move it, it may just end up moving back on it's own or you could see it's health decline.

I would suggest just giving the clowns a little more time. If they don't move to the other anemone, you could get another one to replace the one you lost, but even then there is no guarantee that the clowns will host.

Good luck!

I agree, there is no guarantee that they will host another one, but you never know...clowns are clowns!

The hosting relationship isn't really symbiotic. It's possible the anemone that died was getting too much attention from the clowns. It's also possible the other anemone killed it via chemical warfare. In any case, both the anemone and the clowns can live happily without the other.

If you add another anemone, you do risk chemical warfare that could kill both anemones. Plus the risk the clowns could kill the new anemone as well. Moving the anemone risks only that anemone to the attention of the clowns.

There's probably some ratio of clowns to anemone size, but it'd be more complex than the watts per gallon rules that are still being debated in various planted tank forums.

I would not get another one as as mentioned above there is really no guarantee that they will host with an anenome. One will be sufficient for your clowns. Also anenomes need a mature stable tank to survive. I`m thinking 8-9 months old.

The hosting relationship isn't really symbiotic. .

While I don't know if clowns and anemones are scientifically defined as symbiotic...I would have to say that they certainly have a sort of symbiotic relationship. From observing mine...I see the the Clowns regularly tend to the anemone..they clean it...bring food to it, and defend it. While I believe the anemone does provide some level of protection for the clowns...being that if another fish attempts to mess with them while in the anemone it will get quite a surprise. My 6-line initially tried to mess with my GSM's but it most definitely will NOT go near the RBTA.

Thanks everyone!

Great advice. My tank is 1 1/2 years old but I am still so new at all this I will hold off on another anemone.

Today while I was making water I saw my clowns swimming together out of thier side of the tank. I silently wished they would find the other anemone and suddenly there they were cuddling and rubbing it. I didn't move and held my breath and then one of my other fish who I think thinks that is his side of the tank darted at them and they swam back to the other side. I can only hope as I loved watching the clowns with thier anemone.

Anyway thanks again,
Betsy

I would not get another one as as mentioned above there is really no guarantee that they will host with an anenome. One will be sufficient for your clowns. Also anenomes need a mature stable tank to survive. I`m thinking 8-9 months old.
Her tank is 1 1/2 years old so has been established. The fact that tapwater is being used in her tank would be a big reason I would shy away from the anemone from what I understand they are very sensative to water chemistry. And having an anemone is really cool even if the clown decides not to host it.

I have not replacem the anemone that died (it was getting too big for the tank at the time). My clowns started to roam the tank and now hang out in a frogspawn, though they continue to roam more than they did when they had a big anemone.

Due to their dismal survival rate in captivity I will not be adding another one.

Back
Top Bottom