Clownfish and anenomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty Dog

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had two clownfish, one tank raised and one caught in the wild...the one caught in the wild died recently :cry: Anyways, I just got a long tentacle anenome for the clownfish and they don't even seem remotely interested...I know they either do or don't go in it, but does it take any amount of time for them to realize it is there or something? The fish touched it but instantly shot off like it stung it or something...

It could take an hour or a year or never for that mater. Do you know what type of anenome it is other than just long tentacle.

If for some reason the anenomes sting is strong enough to get thru the clowns chemical protection then i doubt it will ever host in it.

It may have. Especially being captive-raised, it will have to acquire an immunity (which takes time) before it will host it. It also depends on the species of clownfish and the species of anemone. What kinds are they? Reiterating the immunity point, it can take a while, even if the fish is interested, because they have to acclimate themselves to their anemone. (Or so I've read) :) Best of luck!

Well, I'm not really sure what kind of anenome it is...I've been looking for it on the internet and can't find it so far..I'll let you know as soon as I do. The clown is an Oscellaris. I really wanted to know because the LFS said that I would have to feed it if the clown doesn't go in it, but obviously if it does, I don't have to feed it. Not that I'm lazy but I thought it was a neat idea that the fish would feed it. Thanks for the info. :D

Well, it's supposed to help, I'd still give it some food even if the clown did host to it, at least once a week, to supplement any bits the clown gave it. If you can post a picture, the experienced users of the forum could probably help you out. Go into the Saltwater Identification forum. If you don't have a digital camera, borrow one, or scan a regular photo when you get it developed.

I have another question about anenomes. How long does it take to attack its foot to the rock? Mines just been laying there since I got it, which was only a few days ago.

They should attach within seconds. If its been a few days I think your anemone is checking out. Who knows for sure though best of luck I hope he gets attached soon.

Salty Dog said:
I have another question about anenomes. How long does it take to attack its foot to the rock? Mines just been laying there since I got it, which was only a few days ago.

Did you just dump it in the tank or did you acclimate it to your tank paramiters?

Salty Dog said:

mine did the same thing. it took him about a week to find a happy home, but he did a lot of roving around in the meantime. is yours moving at all? has it eaten yet? what type of anenome is it? some are more active and mobile than others. and it may not attach itself to the rock- mine found a place on the glass that it hasnt moved from for the month i have had it so far.

Well, it moved a little bit, and I think it will attach and unattach itself at times. Right now it looks attached and it just ate. I'm still not sure what type of anenome it is....it's got a pinkish-red base and the tentacles are pink. The insides are a slight tint of green/white. It's hard to explain...it is eating very well and opening very wide and seems healthy. Maybe it is one of those that aren't that mobile.

Back
Top Bottom