Clownfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone had success breeding clowns? If so what behavior have your clowns exhibited before spawning and did the young survive?

My clowns spawn like clock work. Lay eggs, tend to them for about a week, eggs hatch at night and I assume all get eaten when lights come on. About a week after the eggs hatch, they start all over again.
Before they lay the eggs, they vigorously clean the area the eggs will be stuck on.
Spawning pics here

I agree. Mine used to spawn like clockwork as well until I lost the female. The one action I noticed most prominently was the cleaning of an area of rock, usually by the male. They vigorously pick at it for a few days before laying the eggs there. My clowns always laid the eggs at night it seemed and after about a week they seemed to always hatch at night. I assume they got eaten because I never tried to rear them to adults.

At Macna in Houston two years ago, I saw a clownfish breeding presentation where the guy shined a small bright light at the water surface. Right near the light was a small suction device I believe or a container. The fry are instinctively drawn to the light, he said, so when they are hatched they would swim to the top of the water surface and end up in this container in the morning. Said it worked for him everytime. Wish I could remember his name...

Thanks for the info! Im not sure if that is what is happening with mine, they have only been in the tank together for about 3 weeks now. They have paired up but the behavior is what I was interested in. The larger of the two has been acting strange. If you have ever seen what a salmon does creating a "nest" that is what this clown has been doing around the brain coal that they are hosting in. Would you call that the cleaning behavior you guys saw with your fish??

Back
Top Bottom