Clownfish chasing the other clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sodamark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. Thanks to everyone for making this a great repository of information. I've been lurking and learning for a couple of months, and after not being able to find an answer to my latest question, am posting my first thread. Most likely this has already been asked, and I just formed a poorly worded search.

We just finished cycling a 46 gallon FO tank two weeks ago. About a week and a half ago, we put a Blue Devil Damsel in and it remained healthy. Two days ago, we introduced a Percula Clown, and the Damsel actually behaved quite nicely. The clown seemed a little lost so we put another clown in yesterday which is barely larger than the first. The damsel went nuts and chased the clowns, so I pulled it out and brought it back to the LFS immediately.

Today my wife called and said the second(newer) clown is continually chasing the first clown and appears to be nipping at it. Should we be concerned? From what I've read, they should get along in pairs. I don't know how to determine age, but they are about an inch and a half long. We just don't want to stress out the fish.
Thanks, Mark

Actually clowns do not often get along in pairs. It helps if there is a big size difference instead of them being similar in size. Are they the same type of clown? If not, they may never get along. One thing you can do is rearrange your rockwork so that that neither clown is comfortable in its surroundings and they will be more concerned about that then each other. It is worth a shot...That is about all I know to try as in a tank that small, they dont really have alot of room to get away from one another.

Thanks. Yes, they are the same type of clown, both percula, and they are the same size. It sounds like I could try finding a much larger percula clown and it may work?

Clowns in pairs is a topic which I have found information that seems to go both ways. I have read posts in these forums about people pairing them up and hoping one would turn female. But, maybe they had different size fish? Or both fish were much younger? I have read some other posts which concur with your statements. Based on what I am seeing, I agree as well.

I'll try moving the rockwork and if things do not change, I may return one of these fish. Thanks.

From what I've heard is that you should introduce clown fish together at the same time in a tank or they will go after each other. I don't know how true that is, but i just got two O. clowns and put them in at the same time and they are doing excellent together. they are both about the same size as well. you might try to pull them both out and move the rock around and put them in at the same time and see if that works too. Best of luck to you-

Alot of times the only way you can get two in that size tank is if you get a mated pair. Other than that it is impossible. Welcome to AA :Fade-color :rainbow1: :rainbow1:

Interesting ntswift. Seeing as I will be moving rock, I will also give that a try. Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome melosu58! We got the fish from the same tank at the same fish store 24 hours apart, so apparently they were not mated. This is such a great hobby! Just when I think I am understanding something, I realize I have no clue. It's a great learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom