clownfish confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a clown fish. It swam fine the first 12 hours and when I returned home he was laying at the bottom of the tank. its still breathing and swims for food, but eventually returns to the same spot in the tank. I thought it was dying, but it swims fine when I attempt to take it out of the tank. Is it still acclimating?

I also have two blue capons damsels in the tank, which are aggressive and territorial, can they be the reason why my new clown fish is struggling?

Tank size and age?
55 gal, only 2 months. The breathing seems rapid but it's hard to tell since I am new at this. It swims fine for a while then lays down. I have read about fish getting ick because it seems to have white dots on it's face. Do I need to take it out of the tank? or is there a natural way to remove ick?

It swims fine for a while then lays down.
That's not good. If you can, quarantine him. My black onyx clowns weren't doing good at all. I was tired of losing fish and invested $ into a quarantine tank. They still have white spots but at least are acting normal.

if its ich, you are going to need to treat every fish in the tank and let the tank sit with only coral/inverts for two months. this is why quarantine is a must for saltwater. you put all this money into your tank and everything can be destroyed at the snap of a finger. eventually you will get a sick fish and it will be nothing but hurt.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/
thats a good article on qt. for you i would suggest buying a qt large enough to house all of your fish, and treat with hyposalinity

Back
Top Bottom