Clownfish Hosting Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a new (1 month) saltwater aquarium. I have an clownfish, with no corals. Are there any corals that the clown is likely to host? Would he host a flowerpot coral?

Lets see what I have here.

Hammer coral
009_648830.jpg

Mushrooms
100_1358.JPG

Hammer coral again
100_1013.JPG

Bubble coral
100_0638.JPG

Just a few of my experiences. HTH BTW I believe a flower pot coral will be too delicate to have a clown hosting it. JMO.

Would you recommend the hammer coral? Is it a fairly hardy coral?

It is an LPS coral that is probably one of the easiest to care for. I am getting one tomorrow, hope my clowns host it :) they probably will not though. It is important to get something because you like it, not because the clownfish might host it.

I definitely wouldn't get an anemone just yet, your tank is still very young. If you don't buy them already hosting they probably won't accept the coral you wish them to host anyway and go for the powerhead instead ;) they are clowns after all haha

My clown didn't host until it got stressed out when I put a lemonpeel in the tank, then it started hosting an acan which was looking pretty bad by the time i got it out of there. I had several frogspawns that it could have hosted but didn't. Some clowns never host anything others will host a powerhead.

I have 2 ocellaris clowns, and they have chosen to host my heater rather than any of the corals I have provided. They are silly little fish.

As others have said, Clowns will host just about anything. The thing to keep in mind is that may not always be a good thing. My clown was hosting one of my open brains for the longest time and it seemed to be doing well, but after a few weeks of hosting, my brain died fairly fast.

Just something to keep in mind :huh:

I suggest waving hand corals (not Xenia). The variety I propagate grows up to 10" long strands. They grow pretty fast and my clowns love to host them. The coral shows zero sign of distress and continues to grow.

Attachments

• image-2865514971.jpg
    image-2865514971.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 91
My clowns host thatsame long pink coral and they have for months, the coral is flourishing, but I reccomend putting a very small power hoas just for that coral so it stays upright not slouched, mine hav been doing amazing hope for ur's 2

Back
Top Bottom