Clownfish not eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheReefSweetheart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I tested my levels today and my ph was 7.8 and the ammonia was .25 ppm, the nitrite was .25 ppm and the nitrate was 5 ppm. I'm doing a water change tomorrow, do you think they'll be alright till then? They refuse to eat anything I give them. My royal gramma, however, is eating normally. Can anyone please explain what's going on? I'm such a newbie /:

How long has the tank been running? There shouldn't be any ammonia or nitrites present if you have fish in the tank. Are they the only ones in there? How big is the tank?

I have two clowns and a royal gramma in a 10 gallon that's been up for about two weeks now. The people where I got my fish and live rock said that would be fine. Two days ago everything tested perfectly, and now everything's out of whack.

Oh dear, I hate to say it but your tank isn't really big enough for 2 clowns and a gramma. I am guessing you bought them all at the same time? Adding too much too soon can cause a 'mini cycle' that's why most people only buy one fish at a time, then wait a few weeks for the next. Keep doing water changes daily until you are testing zeros across the board. Fish and ammonia are not friends...

+1 to that. Expect some territorial issues in the future as well. I have the same combo in my tank and its 28g and there is always a little bickering going on. Clowns and gammas can be very territorial.

Oh man, I'm so glad I joined this forum. Never would have known otherwise. I guess I'll be going to get a bigger tank, then! In the meantime, I'll keep changing the water and seeing what happens from there. Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom