Clownfish problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.sneakysnacky

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I recently moved my clownfish over to a bigger tank, BUT it doesnt move... all it does is lay on the sandbed....and it does breath pretty fast....what does this mean! is he dying! or is it something dont have to worry about :(

He obviously still in shock of the transfer. It might take a few days for him to explore his new home and get comfortable. Just keep an eye on him

Have you tested the water? What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Hopefully you acclimated him to the new tank properly. Also, was the bigger tank cycled?

It seems like he has been shocked for sure. Make sure you water parameters are safe and hope for the best.

yeah my parameters are good, maybe I didnt acclimate it right...I mean I left it in the tank for about 30 minutes? and it was 3 weeks in the cycling process.

so what should I look out for you guys!

mr.sneakysnacky said:
yeah my parameters are good, maybe I didnt acclimate it right...I mean I left it in the tank for about 30 minutes? and it was 3 weeks in the cycling process.

Left it in the tank? Like in a bag?

Did you drip acclimate him?

If you only temp acclimated him he could very well be in shock. Fish need to be acclimated to the water parameters as well as the temperature.

mr.sneakysnacky said:

What exactly were the readings? 3 weeks isn't long enough normally to complete a cycle unless you used a lot of donated media. Also, 30 minutes Is a pretty short acclimation, I normally go for 2 hours plus with drip acclimation.

mr.sneakysnacky said:

Is he still on the sand bed breathing heavily? And how long has he been there?

yeah its been almost 24 hours, hes still on the sand bed, I mean the other clownfish is doing great though! its only one 1 thats doing bad. It looks like its breathing heavily and just on the sand bed..

Weren't you the one looking to start a tank last week or so? Who had no idea about rock or sand? How, if you were only asking last week, did it cycle in 3 weeks?

If your tank isn't cycled, like I doubt it is, your fish will probably die. The only way you can get proper advice from people is if you're straight with them about what's going on. I'm assuming, based on your past threads your tank is a 29 cube, with rock & sand less than a week old. Rushing things and misleading people will only get fish killed.

Mike you obviously dont know how to ready because I said, I was either choosing to STICK WITH THE 29G THAT I HAD ALREADY or BUYING A CUBE. Then if you kept reading ON YOU WILL KNOW THAT I WENT ON WITH MY 29G tank that I already HAD and that it was already in THE PROCESS OF CYCLING.

Please, if you are going to argue with someone get your facts straight.

Exact readings of nitrite, ammonia and nitrate? How did you cycle the tank?

Ok. Just read some of your other posts. Your clown most likely was already stressed from being in a ten gallon tank. And he may still have ick. If he wasn't acclimated the correct way he may not make it.

If your clowns are not ick free and you are placing them into a new tank you have brought the ick to the new tank and you may still lose both. You may want to completely empty out the ten gallon (bare bottom- no sand no rock!) and make it a temporary quarantine tank. Hopefully you have not taken it completely down so that it is still a cycled tank. In here you could dose copper (make sure you do it right) or do hypo salinity. Hopefully your clowns will survive in the qt tank for 6-8 weeks so that the ick can die off in your 29 gallon tank. I wouldn't add any fish to the 29 for the 8 weeks though or they will get ick as well

Also- 2 weeks is a very short time for a cycle. Did you dose the tank with ammonia or do the shrimp method? What exactly are your water parameters right now?

Ammonia-
Nitrites-
Nitrates-
Salinity-
Ph-

Also- you can't keep a tang in this size tank. If they don't have 6 feet to swim through and plenty of caves they will get ick (tangs are the worst at catching ick when stressed) and you will have to sit with an empty tank for another 8 weeks.

Hope this helps

Thanks Jlsardina, My clownfishes dont have ich anymore so thank god! but like you said they could be in the tank. I will make sure to clean out the tank! and I was going to use my 10G as a QT

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate:0
Nitrite: 0
Salinity: 1.023

Back
Top Bottom