Clownfish Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ztkirkpatric

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 150g tank with around 150-175lbs of live rock... I have 1 clarkii clownfish right now and am wanting to get a pair of percula clownfish... I have heard that it's not a good idea to mix the different species of clownfish because they are territorial. However, I have also read in a tank this size it should be fine...

So what are your opinions? If I get a pair of percs should I get another clarkii?

Or should I get rid of the clarkii? Personally I would rather have two pairs of clownfish, they're fun to watch.

IMO, Clarkii's are a more bullish clownfish, than others, to try to add another when you've already got one, would probably not go well!
As far as adding a pair, maybe on the other side of the tank, you should be alright. Does your Clarkii host an anemone or anything else now? If he does, I think you will be even better off. I would put the Clarkii and his host on one side and introduce the pair and a host on the other. Good luck!

There is a coral that he has seemed to host.. My tank is only around 8 months old. I'm wanting to wait until after a year to add the anenomea

I'd ditch the clarkii and get your pair of perculas or I'd get another clarkii. Definitely wouldn't do both. But if you do keep us updated!

Right, good thinking. I would wait on the other pair then, if you were wanting an anemone for the Clarkii, introduce it when your ready, to see if he takes to it. If he hasn't taken to it after a week or two, move it away from his territory and introduce your pair. If he does take to it, then possibly introduce another with the pair, or let them find something to occupy. If the Clarkii hosts, he won't stray too far. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom