Clowns throwing substrate on CORALS!! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bwilcox1208

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

My tank has been up for about 2 months now. I have 2 O Clowns, and a few mushrooms, and some ZOAS. The corals were doing great, but the clowns decided to burrow into the sand and they throw sand all over them. They seem to close up more and stay closed now that sand is all over them. I used the PH to blow it off, and they came back out and looked great. BUt every night the clowns do the same thing and bed into the sand. I have about 2 inches of White Sand as the substrate. Is there something else I can add for a top layer so they cant throw it around like they do?

Also would adding anything else affect anything at this point. I would love to add some more substarte of a different kind. Would it help at all for the corals.

Thanks again,

Ben

My clown does the same thing if something he doesn't like intrudes in "his" corner. He didn't bother my zoanthids, but did manage to kill off a bubble coral, and was just recently pushing around a tubipora.

Think it's just the nature of the fish, and I'd say the only thing you can do is just keep things away from his adopted home corner or area of the tank.

thanks a lot for the help, what about adding another kind of substrate. like I said I just have some white LS right now. I would like to add something else. What are some good ideas, and would it be a good idea at this point?

Looks like we got two choices, move the coral to see if they are OK with it away from them or exchange the fish for another pair ( I know, but in case moving coral doesn't work). If you're anything like me and want more coral, I'd consider exchanging the pair. They might be trouble makers in the tank early, being more territotrial as more coral and fish are added.

Tough choice, but I agree, do NOT exchange the sand for coral or gravel.

I have my gobies put sand on some of my corals and I just put my hand in there and fan the sand off of them. If you dont want that then you`ll have to do like the others said and move the corals.

thanks a lot guys, Ill move the corals and let you know what happens! i dont want to exchange the clowns because they were together at the LFS and they are starting to seem like a mated pair, they get a long really well and I have had no problems. They sleep together and hang out together all day and night. I will move the coral and update everyone!!!

Back
Top Bottom