Coldwater salt tank this novice needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

londonersteve

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings from England :D :D :D

Well guys.I have a spare 400l or 100gal (english capacity) tank with cab.I moved out of London about 4 Years ago and now live in buitfull Devon(South West England). Im lucky to live about 1/4 mile from the beach and i want to set up my own coldwater sea envioroment.I have successfully kept many tanks of malyaeys for a number of years and want to try something a bit unsaull and a bit more challenging.I have a spare fluval 404 which should filter the tank fine(i hope).I im hoping to find out the following with all your help amounts other things.

What type of filters to use i.e Carbon , sponge e.t.c ?
Do you surgest a protein skimmer ?
What type of lighting ?
Power heads maybe ?
Do you think the lack of no tide will affect the fish ?
What should i use as feed ?
The best way to stock the tank and how often ?
Which species mix and which ones dont ?
Can anybody surgesst a good web site ?

I am doing a hell of a lot of research my self but any help would be great.

I Dont want to hurt the fish or damage the enviroment any more than we aready are and want to minimise as many mistakes as pos from all the help i get .

As my children have many friends over to visit and enjoy the tanks we already have,I just think it will be a good tank to have for my young children and there friends to add to after a succsfull rockpool hunts over the weekends with there little nets.So thay can also learn about the sea we all live around and help to preserve it a bit better than we are :D

Im a new member and let me take this opportunity to congratulate you all on a very good looking and informative forum.The best ive seen on the web

Hope to hear from you all soon and thank you in advance

:D Steve :D

P.S. Sorry about my spelling was never my good point :oops:

I think it is a nice idea, but would change a few things. The fluval could be used, but I would use it for circulation mostly, not filtration. You could put live rock rubble in it to help with filtration. Leave the baskets out. I would use some powerheads, or one big powerhead and attach a spraybar. You will not have corals so stock lighting is ok. I would do some research on the local sea inhabitants. I know some serpents stars are endemic to colder water as I was on the shores of the north sea last december and saw quite a few on the beach. Feeding depends on what is ultimately in the tank. Same with compatabitlity, find the choices, then we can help sort it out.

hope this helps just a bit.

Straight from my local beach,because my wife and i look after kids in a after school club and it would be good for them to add to the tank (or tanks depends how this one goes) for themselves with there little catches

please make sure it is legal first...would hate to see you hauled away in cuffs for breaking fish and game (or the UK equivalent) laws....

Back
Top Bottom