colt coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am a little worried about colt coral - been a day or two that a small section of it doesnt open up as much as the rest of it when the lights are on. Is this a bad sign? how can I tell if that area is dead? what should I do ?

I have a really big colt coral in my tank and somtimes it will do the same thing. If the area is dead it will start to turn black and look like its falling apart.

Any excess stuff hanging on it? I keep a plastic turkey baster and blow off my leathers it they need it. Otherwise, keep an eye on it to watch for any spreading. How long you had it? Moved it recently?

The colt Coral is the only coral in the tank and has been moved around 2 or 3 times in the past 10 days or so.

Ammonia and Nitrite are undetectable - temp is roughly around 79-80 give or take a degree depending upon which thermometer you look at. PH is 8.3 and alk is bw 1.7-2.8 MH. Nitrates are high and around 20 ppm, phospates are at 1 ppm. I just received a shipment of phosban today and I hope it makes a difference when I add it to my system tomorrow. I also will be doing a weekly 13 gal water change. I did three 13 gallon water changes last week hoping to put a dent into my nitrates and phosphates and it didnt work.

As far as flow is concerned - I have a fluval fx5( 400 gph) emperor 400 (400 gph) and thre maxijet 600's on a wave making device ( 480 gph) total of 1280 gph on what is a 75 gal tank. There is good flow throughout the tank but I would not say that the colt coral is geting any direct flow.

Does it need pretty direct flow ? Also it is not turning black nor falling apart and nothing seems to be falling off it . It does look like it may be slightly a different color in this paticular area though. It has not seemed to get any better.

I am starting to get a little worried - it is not geting any better, starting to turn a little black, and may have spread somewhat. What should I do?

Ok, I think I need to do something to try and salvage what is left of the colt coral. What do you guys reccomend ?

Where can I get directions on this? Where to make the cut and how do I cover up the place where I cut it. Can I just cut off the bad area

Back
Top Bottom