come home to a house that is flooded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_mango

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok well I went to costco this morrning to come home to a house that is flooded from my 240 gallon mixed reef draining on the floor becuse my power company killed my whole blocks power 1/2 my corals dead 200 lds of rock out of the water idk how long the power was out but my mp40 is burnt up from running dry so is my uv I called the power company they told be I have to put in a clame and if they feel it is there falt then they will cover the cost of repairs this is a crappy day

oh geeze that sucks big time :(

aren't the power companies supposed to notify you if they are killign the power at set times?

No my returns r on the bottom of my tank and I dident think of a power out so I never got check valves and they r but my power company is stupid

so its their fault for not telling you so you can take precaustions to avoid this. if they aren't goign to cover this then i may suggest consulting a lawyer and see what they say, or if you have a lawyer friend see what you could do about it

That is mt arrgument I just get an estament from my lfs looking at around 3000 to replace all corals and damaged goods

Good luck with that, I mean would it make a difference if the power was cut because of a storm. I wish you the best of luck though, how far up are your returns? I use an overflow setup for my sump. I messed up when I first placed the aqua lifter, and burnt it out because I was doing more than a 30" lift. Thankfully i noticed this on my own and replaced it last week. Just got power back here @ 2am after being out for 29hours...
Are you going to take out the 200G and re-cure them so you don't spike and hurt the fish?

My returns r at the very bottom of my tank and from what it looks like tney r dead my acans r completly gone and so r my duncans so now I have to get check valves so this wont happen again

ugh, I don't have check valves on mine, but my return is at the top, and I leave enough room in the sump for siphoning. Not much though, yesterday it was 1/2 - 3/4" from the top of my sump. No other choice for you since they're at the bottom. Do check valves add to the pump head loss?

Not much damage to the house cuz I have tile floors and I would think it would add head pressher to the pump

theres no doubt you'd get more head pressure from a check valve. remember they work under the concept of whe nthere is back pressure a valve (usually a ball bearing type device) falls back against an o ring closing off the flow where as going the otehr way it pushes it open still leavign the ball in the way just openning enough to have flow.

rob, check your sub floor, the grout inbetween the tiles is still porus and water can leak through and drip into your basement.

Check your home owners insurance just in case they might cover it.

Also, for the future, I would investigate how you can re-do your setup to have a proper overflow with a cut off at the top so this doesn't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom