Complicated tank compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktomminello

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Cave Transparent Goby

:angel: :whistle:

So, my 10g nano reef/ refugium I truly do want to be CUC only, but while looking at potential clean up crew members I came across this goby that I think is adorable and I think would do great finishing the food I have left over when I hand feed and have left overs from my 40g puffer tank, seeing as though he will not eat it if it's leftovers that have been refrigerated.

Need help deciding if this fish would be a benefit to my reef and clean up crew only tank/ puffer refugium.

This tank is a standard 10g glass aquarium with glass hood-
Marineland Reef Capable LED lighting
Marineland 300gph circulator
2 air pumps (both rated for 20g)
2 30g rated HOB filters
1 100W heater set to 83
2 preset back up heaters (78)
4 inches of mixed substrate (crushed live rock, crushed coral, dolomite gravel, marine sand, live aragonite and live oolite reef sand).
Approximately 50lbs of cultured live rock
Some clams
Coralline macro algae

My parameters
Temperature- 83F
Salinity- 1.026
pH- 8.3
Alkalinity- 10 dKH
Calcium- 420 (lol) ppm
Magnesium- 1395 ppm
Phosphate- .02 ppm
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 4 ppm- These parameters have been maintained now for 8 days...

I am ready for this!!!
:thanks: for any input you can give me.

I think that fish will end up being a predator to the pods and amphipids. Those zooplankton are more important for cleaning up puffer waste. The goby add more waste and consume very little waste.

Sorry it took so long, thank you for the input- should I stick with a snail clean up crew and move my emerald crab and blue foot hermits to fend for themselves in my puffer tank- I have a weird algae coming out of one of my rocks in his fowlr?

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Cave Transparent Goby

:angel: :whistle:

So, my 10g nano reef/ refugium I truly do want to be CUC only, but while looking at potential clean up crew members I came across this goby that I think is adorable and I think would do great finishing the food I have left over when I hand feed and have left overs from my 40g puffer tank, seeing as though he will not eat it if it's leftovers that have been refrigerated.

Need help deciding if this fish would be a benefit to my reef and clean up crew only tank/ puffer refugium.

This tank is a standard 10g glass aquarium with glass hood-
Marineland Reef Capable LED lighting
Marineland 300gph circulator
2 air pumps (both rated for 20g)
2 30g rated HOB filters
1 100W heater set to 83
2 preset back up heaters (78)
4 inches of mixed substrate (crushed live rock, crushed coral, dolomite gravel, marine sand, live aragonite and live oolite reef sand).
Approximately 50lbs of cultured live rock
Some clams
Coralline macro algae

My parameters
Temperature- 83F
Salinity- 1.026
pH- 8.3
Alkalinity- 10 dKH
Calcium- 420 (lol) ppm
Magnesium- 1395 ppm
Phosphate- .02 ppm
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 4 ppm- These parameters have been maintained now for 8 days...

I am ready for this!!!
:thanks: for any input you can give me.

As far as the compatibility is concerned, I don't think it'll prey on your CUC (Snails, crabs).

There are a few things that I see that are out of place...

83 degrees is quite high of a temp. Not saying it can't be done, because God knows, my biocube barely comes off of it, but to actually set your temp that high on purpose seems odd. 76-78 seems more friendly.

There is no need to add air pumps to the tank, the bubbles will only create salt-creep. As long as the tank has surface agitation, along with the water falling into the sump, you are all set there.

Everything else looks okay. The only other thing to keep in mind is that this fish requires frequent feedings which is opposite of the needs of a puffer.

HTH.

As far as the compatibility is concerned, I don't think it'll prey on your CUC (Snails, crabs).

There are a few things that I see that are out of place...

83 degrees is quite high of a temp. Not saying it can't be done, because God knows, my biocube barely comes off of it, but to actually set your temp that high on purpose seems odd. 76-78 seems more friendly.

There is no need to add air pumps to the tank, the bubbles will only create salt-creep. As long as the tank has surface agitation, along with the water falling into the sump, you are all set there.

Everything else looks okay. The only other thing to keep in mind is that this fish requires frequent feedings which is opposite of the needs of a puffer.

HTH.

I don't have a sump- my refugium is separate from my puffer tank- it's a nano tank I set up to just play with growing hearty corals (am in love with mushroom, zoas and leather corals). I keep my heater set to 83 because I was told by my salt water lfs that it would help me find the sea mouse and Eunice worm I want to remove from my 10g seeing as though they are too big and they arrived as hitchhikers. I normally set my tank for 77 to 80°. I still haven't caught either of 2 ugly things, do you think I should just give up on that? And thank you for the advice on the air pump situation- I was wondering what spiked my salinity when I left for a couple days!! If I have a 300gph circulator and 2 high flow hob filters (both are rated for 3X the filtration required for the tank) is that enough water motion to to get rid of the pumps? Sorry about the noob questions. Thanks for any info anyone has for me!

Back
Top Bottom