Conch habitat idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foamythesquirrel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 29 gal (which is 36" long by 12" deep), I have smooth live sand with about 60% coverage of live rock.

I have a Conch that likes to roam but he hasn't learned to stay away from my plates and rose brain coral.

I am wondering how this idea sounds to some:

Create a tier in the sand by placing a boarder of live rock and create a barrier. Fill the void with sand, and place the rose brain coral at an elevated height. I am thinking no higher than 1" and about a 5" diameter.

The plates will go towards the corners and I will baracade with a few obstacle rocks.

Feedback welcome, I am only 5 months into this. And started without having any prior aquarium knowlege :)

Thanks for reading.

That sounds OK for the brain. But plate corals will move, and it'll go wherever it wants to go - even up and over a barricade. If you try and barricade one in, you run the risk of it hurting itself on the barricade.

Not sure though why the conch needs to be kept away from them. From my experience, they just stay on the sand and if they "feel" a coral they crawl around/under it.

I placed some small rocks on the sand, partially around the brain coral. I had to leave some room for expansion, but I think it is working pretty good. The conch seems to avoid the obstacles but he has a mind of his own. I have noticed that one of my plates moved a little in the last few days. I am learning that open sand is so important. Especially the ares in which are well lit.

Back
Top Bottom