confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, have a few questions. LFS store where I live has me going this direction. 55 gal. FOWLR. 3" aroganite and live sand. A CPR Aqua-fuge Refugium with built in protein skimmer. Makes sense to me, LR and the Refugium will naturally remove nitrates. Right now I am in Phoenix AZ. and stopped by the recommended LFS. I told them my plans for the setup and they thought it sounded good, but ! They ask where was the mechanical filtration ? I said it never came up so I thought I must not need it. Help !!!!!!!!!

The way I understand it, (and the way my tank is set up), with enough live rock(1.5-2lbs per gal), you don't need mechanical filtration. You do need some way to move the water through/around the rock though. Some powerheads do the trick. I do have a hob filter on my tank but it's empty and is just used for more surface movement as well as a holding area for carbon if I should need it. HTH

With a sand bed and a good cleanup crew, mechanical filtration isn't needed. Every now and then I throw a pair of sponges over my downtubes on my overflow and a bag of carbon in my sump for a week. Other than that, nothing but water flow.

Back
Top Bottom