Confused about powerheads.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdwhite807

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, cycling a 40b for my first attempt at SW. I have questions about powerheads. Do I need power heads or a wave maker? What size would I need for a 40b? What brand are decent that won't break the bank? How many do I need? And where should I place them in the tank. From what I have read I want to use them to help remove dead spots in the tank. I will be starting with softies and mushrooms and hopefully as my skills develop forward so will my tank. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can look into Koralia pumps, they're great for the money. In terms of flow, what do you plan on keeping? Fish only, or corals? Fish only you can get away with a lot less flow, soft corals, you need more flow, and hard corals even more... For a 40b, you would need anywhere from 500gph-1500gph depending on livestock and aquascape of rocks... Let us know so we can help you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have used several different types of PHs in my tanks over the years. I have had the best luck with (cheaper version) MaxiJets with the mods. they run flawlessly and move more than enough water.

I am running 2 MP10s on my 40b now and love them. They do cost but are pretty amazing.

Thanks for the help guys. I want to start with softies and see where it goes from there. What I have been looking at is the Hydor Koralia Nano 425 gph. I am looking to get 2 of them one for each side. This sound like enough movement?

Not for a 40. Look into the 600's... One on each side should be good. The Koralia nano's are weak IMO...

I just bought a jebao wp25 ($55) for my 90 and that sucker is insane just by itself! They have other models that would be right for u and it comes with a wave controller!!

Back
Top Bottom