Contemplating a break???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swiftler

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my wife and I have been chatting for a while now about the possibility of taking a break from the hobby for a bit. We had our first child a little over two years ago and I find it hard to keep up with all of the scheduled maintenance that we all know we have when it comes to running a reef tank.

When I rebuilt my 75, I inherited one of the worse gha problems I have ever had to face from the live rock that I purchase from a person on CL. I thought I would just be able to get control of it through CUC, cheato, and good maintenance. Alas that is not the case and it has grown to just being overwhelmingly difficult to tackle along with being a new dad.

Long story short for the community here, in the discussion of tearing it down, we were both curious as to the best way to sell off a rather large piece of blue ridge coral that we have been growing for almost 2 years. It is a very healthy piece and has grown tremendously as you can see in the photos.

R36pCz

2dpGyJV

https://flic.kr/p/R36pCz

https://flic.kr/p/2dpGyJV

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a classified section that you can sell off what you want to part with.

Congratulations! (Two years late) on your first child! I admire you for how you see your priorities! It must be hard and I hate you have to give it up! But I would definitely sell via third party! When selling to a commercial entity, which I am sure you know, they have to run a business, so that cuts into your profits. Like previously mentioned, you can sell classified on here. There are also other sites such as Aquabid, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. Don't be afraid of shipping! But research it thoroughly! From my understanding, it has become much more safer and efficient to ship corals and fish! It's pretty much how LiveAquaria conducts all their business! Best of luck! Hope you can return to the hobby again some day!

Hard choice, but on the plus side you know that this type hobby is increasingly getting better and better, so when you are ready again, it might be even easier to take care of a reef tank.

Also you might entertain offers from local coral growers higher end stores as well, better chance of knowing it should survive and go to someone who can care for it.

As an additional option, any zoo, aquarium, or other commercial entities, which might enjoy the contribution/ trade for some passes for the family?

Just some additional possibilities.

That’s a great point, I didn’t even think about the possibility of donating it back to the ocean as well. If it will survive, I’m not sure. It will depend on several factors.

Domesticated aquatic things aren't supposed to be put back to nature as there is a risk of introducing some other non native /invasive or otherwise contaminate/disease which the natural area could suffer from. :/

Also another great point! Haha, I just thought I heard of some entities that will accept donations from people for these purposes. Maybe they make sure they’re okay to be put out in the wild?

If it’s the gha is the final straw that is making you give it up, get a sea hare. They will eat so much gha, it will all be gone! You will have to end up adding nori sheets or other seaweed to the tank for him! you can usually rent them and get most of your money back when you return it to the shop. They rent them because they eat too much for any one person to keep them very long without adding food ... I’ve grown to love mine , and now I buy dried seaweeds from the Asian supermarket for him to munch on
Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom