Converting from fish only to reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggersgalore

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am changing my 240 gallon fish only to a reef aquarium and I am wondering what I would have to do to do this. Any info helps thank you!

?Fertilizers? -
Most important is the lights. Since you'll be upgrading, I would suggest LED lights such as Taotronics. There is a lengthly LED lighting thread which I think is in the getting started thread. Normally 1 unit per 2 feet length, but If that is a 7 ft tank, I'd see how many dividers it has (2 dividers=3 lights, 3 dividers = 4 lights). These lights will support anything you will want in the tank.
Water Quality is much more important in a Reef than a FO tank. Nutrient export has to be 100%, so a quality skimmer as well as macro algae in the sump. Make sure your nitrates and phosphates are both 0 (you can do this while still running as a FO) with no algae build-up in the tank.
Rocks, if you don't have any yet (you didn't say FOWLR). You can slowly add them to the DT, or place them in a heated rubbermaid container with the right salt levels and cycle them seperate from the tank. This can take a few weeks.
Fish. Make sure any you have are compatable with reefs.
I think that's about it. Water quality good, upgrade lights and add corals.

?Fertilizers? -
Most important is the lights. Since you'll be upgrading, I would suggest LED lights such as Taotronics. There is a lengthly LED lighting thread which I think is in the getting started thread. Normally 1 unit per 2 feet length, but If that is a 7 ft tank, I'd see how many dividers it has (2 dividers=3 lights, 3 dividers = 4 lights). These lights will support anything you will want in the tank.
Water Quality is much more important in a Reef than a FO tank. Nutrient export has to be 100%, so a quality skimmer as well as macro algae in the sump. Make sure your nitrates and phosphates are both 0 (you can do this while still running as a FO) with no algae build-up in the tank.
Rocks, if you don't have any yet (you didn't say FOWLR). You can slowly add them to the DT, or place them in a heated rubbermaid container with the right salt levels and cycle them seperate from the tank. This can take a few weeks.
Fish. Make sure any you have are compatable with reefs.
I think that's about it. Water quality good, upgrade lights and add corals.

I am actually getting rid of all my fish because none are reef compatable and it is a FOWLR I have plenty I live Rock and I already have macro algae in my sump my water quality is already good the only thing I really need is lighting and it is an 8 foot tank so I would have to do 4 units?

Back
Top Bottom