Converting to reef from fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wings4wheels

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new 55 gallon fowlr tank that I am considering converting to a reef tank. Right now I just have 4 ft strip light on top. It runs two fluorescent tubes. Would it be enough light if I added another strip like this, or do i need a completely different lighting system for this tank?
Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm doing the same thing. I upgraded my light to 4 bulbs. I think that should be enough to grow an assortment of corals, maybe need MH for the higher light ones.

I think two bulbs are good for the less light demanding corals but for a full reef tank your going to need at least a 4 bulb t5.

Those lights you have won't handle corals (mushrooms of your lucky). You can get t5 lights on eBay starting around $100, they can grow low-some medium light corals. Check out my thread on cheap LEDs, these seem to work and are fairly cheap...

try tomstav thread on the LEDS they look real good and r cheap im bulding my 55 now an this is what im going with im going to get about 3 whites an 2 blues

joseramentol said:
try tomstav thread on the LEDS they look real good and r cheap im bulding my 55 now an this is what im going with im going to get about 3 whites an 2 blues

Be sure to post your review on them if you get them

I have to jack this thread for one question. Tomstav how big Is that carp in you profile pic? 50 lbs?? That is awesome fish. Common carp? Where you catch?

I'm selling my nova extreme t5 fixture which is 4 bulb 48" for $80 plus shipping. Problem is that 2 of the ballasts burned out so only 2 bulbs work. If you replaced the ballasts then you'd have a $300 fixture for $120.

Mpfaff77 said:
I have to jack this thread for one question. Tomstav how big Is that carp in you profile pic? 50 lbs?? That is awesome fish. Common carp? Where you catch?

Ha only 32lb, I think it was a bit hollow! Caught on the st Lawrence river on the border of NY and Canada

Ibrahim said:
I'm selling my nova extreme t5 fixture which is 4 bulb 48" for $80 plus shipping. Problem is that 2 of the ballasts burned out so only 2 bulbs work. If you replaced the ballasts then you'd have a $300 fixture for $120.

Are the light bulbs included?

Back
Top Bottom