Cooling Metal Halide Light.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a MH light and it really heats up my watter. To 81 8O my question is, is how do I go about cooling it down/blowing the hot air away from the surface, I heard people use computer fans but my question about that is where do you plug them into since if its for a comp you need a powersupply. Please let me know becuase the temp is getting TOO HIGH thanx. Also please post other methods!

You hard wire the comp fans to a regular extension cord. They have the fans at Radio shack. One on each end with one in and one out.

That's odd one in and one out. I just purchased a Aqualight Advanced Metal Halide and they said the sides suck the air in and the 3 fans on top push the air out so why would putting a fan on the side help if it it pushing the air out that the MH is trying to suck in?

xxnonamexx said:
That's odd one in and one out. I just purchased a Aqualight Advanced Metal Halide and they said the sides suck the air in and the 3 fans on top push the air out so why would putting a fan on the side help if it it pushing the air out that the MH is trying to suck in?
Yours has multiple fans. If you are doing diy with a canopy, you need to have an in and an out(You have two ins and three outs). The diy with two is to pull air across the water to pull the heat away from the water and keep it from overheating. If you want 5 that's fine but most people who are building their own don't want to go to the trouble and expense to buy and wire 5 fans. Ours has 2 250w mh with a flourescent set up also, with 2 fans and the water stays at whatever my heater is set at.

Yes I have just one fan on it which isnt doing very much. I may just go with one of the clip on ones. IDK yet, the hot wiring method sounds kinda risky for a fire to me :-\

They come with instructions on which wire to put on which terminal. It's not "hotwiring", it's just hooking it up. But if you don't feel comfortable working with electricity, then you shouldn't do it. I feel comfortable with it because I wire airplanes and helicopters for a living, and have rewired a few houses too.

I was told not to have the computer fans sucking air out of the fixture. I know a lot about computer and most computer fans are not built to handle moister. If Salt were to get on them from evaporation... On my fixture(has an open back) I have 1 fan on each side blowing inward and never had any heat problems. HTH

I decided to put a fan on. A normal like bedroom fan one of those big unsightly ones. I am comtimplating getting a clip on one from ebay becuase I have heard they work as well and are much cheaper than a chiller.

Back
Top Bottom