copepod refugium: need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevedpepper

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, attorney stevedpepper here. I am starting a small refugium for copepod breeding and need some clarity. I am intending to do the following, so please let me know if this works or if I need to change anything:
I am installing in my sump a small refugium with built in pump for water circulation. I'll have about 3 inches of live sand (the refugium is only 8 inches tall). I'll put in a small piece of live rock. I will throw in some macro algae (chaeto). I will also supplement with phytoplankton to feed the little guys. Then obviously I will dump in the copepods. Also, i'm not sure if light is necessary because copepods avoid light, but the chaeto might need it? Thoughts? Thanks again!!!

How big is the main tank? The chaeto will for sure need a light source but it doesnt have to be crazy, a clip on light from home depot will do the trick.

I had a complete tank setup JUST for pods and to be honest it wasnt very successful. I seeded it a few times, had over 30lbs of live rock, 2 inches of sand and the resulting pods weren't enough of a supply to deal with my scooters eating habits. I ended up getting him mostly on prepared food after momths of trying everything and I added a fuge in my cube as well, with cheato and pods and an LED light.

How is your sump set up? I believe you need your skimmer before the refugium section or you'll skim out your pods. :-(

Thanks for the input. I have a 130g. My protein skimmer/filter sock is before the refugium.
How long do I have the light on for?

Thank you again.

I keep my refugium light on opposite my day lights on a timer. So from say 8 pm to 8 am. It's also supposed to help stabilize the ph or so I've read.

Are you aiming for a particular fish wanting pods or do you just want them?

how long has your tank been up and how much live rock do you have?

That will go along way to helping get a pod population going strong.

80 pounds live sand, 150 pounds live rock. I have a mandarin goby. Tired of buying pods and pods and pods. Tank up for 8 months.

Yep, I see your dilemma. Have you tried to get her off pods? I got an ORA tank raised one and am slowly getting her back on prepared foods. She's still eating whatever pods she can find but at least she's eating other foods now too. I turn off the flow in the tank and use a turkey baster to shoot her frozen cyclops and brine shrimp and mysis. She is just starting to try the mysis.

You have alot fo rock, could use some more in fact to be honest. The mroe rocks the better pod population. The refugium is supposed to be a safe place for them to start out and then they migrate to the main tank. I have 200lbs of LR in my 125g and literally have pods everywhere. At night it's kinda scary to see them all over the place. lol

But sounds like you have a good base for starting a refugium. You can also add the pods to the main tank after lights out so they have a chance to start to populate the live rock before being eaten.

This is a good product to seed a refugium

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Pods+

and this also

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Reef Pods

what other fish do you have in the tank? i don't think you need to purchase any more pods with 150 pounds of rock.

Back
Top Bottom