Copepods,How prolific are they...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just like the title ask's, I have them all over the glass in my 75 gal and I was wondering how fast these little critters propagate, :hugs: multiply or do what ever they do...

Fast. Tell us something about your tank. How old is the tank & how much rock? Substrate?What creatures are living in there? Maybe we can recommend a fish that you may love and handle your pod population. Pods are good - I guess until they're so abundant that they bother you seeing them so much.

austinsdad said:
Fast. Tell us something about your tank. How old is the tank & how much rock? Substrate?What creatures are living in there? Maybe we can recommend a fish that you may love and handle your pod population. Pods are good - I guess until they're so abundant that they bother you seeing them so much.

Well,This is my first go at saltwater, The tank has been up and running since September,It is a 75 gal with 90 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs of live sand, I have a 20 gal long tank setup as a trickle/sump/refuge w/algae's and about 10 lbs of livesand,this is about 10 gal (the fuge).
As for inhabitants,1 Clown fish, 30 various hermits, snails,
5 peppermint shrimp(for the aptasia), 4 Emerald crabs and 1 Coral banded shrimp and numerous worms, feather dusters, clams and such(mostly hitchhikers).
Now the tank has cycled about three weeks ago and I have pods everywhere including the fuge and two pod piles in the tank.(can you see where this is going).
I would like to add a blue tang (Dory from nemo for the kids but if not thats fine) if the tank is large enough ( I think most places recommend at least a 70gal).Any fish recommendations?
I also have not decided on corals yet.

Anyway my goal is to support one Blue Mandarin... :D This is my favorite marine fish, would love too have a male and female but I know thats not feasible.
Anyway, thats my little piece of the Big ole' blue, Let me know what you think.

It is suggested to wait at least a year for a mandarin as most starve for lack of a pods population. If you really have that many and a fuge it sounds like you are on the right path. Personally I would give it a few more months to make sure all is well since your tank is still fairly new. After the new year if all is well and your pods are still prolific I would think you are OK for one and one only as they can quickly decimate your pods population.

As for the tang I would also wait. A 75g is on the small side for for a blue tang, but it can done. This particular tang can be touchy and prone to ich and does best in an established tank.

If you are going to wait for the pacific blue tang then do not add any other tangs in the meantime as 1 tang in a 75g is probably all you have room for.

As for other fish ideas it is really up to what you like and what you plan on doing long term such as inverts or corals. Take a look at what others have and what you like. Most importantly do your research and do not make any impulse purchases.

This site is good for profiling fish and helping to understand requirements and compatibility:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15

HTH,

I would stear clear of the blue. They really need longer swimming room than 4' and will be very darty and spastic in such short space. You could easily get a small purple with that much space. Very attractive and hardy fish. Neither of mine is any worry with agression.

The statement about them being prone to ich has me saying noway...I think Nemo is just fine in there without Dory...Very soon I wont be able to see in the sides of the tank with so many pods... :D ... Im going to my LFS friday to see what he has to offer...

I'd also consider taking the single clown back and getting a pair of farm raised percs.

Got a QT tank? :soap: Gonna be a real lifesaver as you begin stocking. Just imagine, full of rock, 6 fish in, 3 more to go, and the 7th fish infects the tank. Kills 5 of the first six. Believe me, it happened to me.

Hard to do with a new tank, but try to go slow on the fish additions. It'll be worth it.

Good luck.

austinsdad said:
I'd also consider taking the single clown back and getting a pair of farm raised percs.

My LFS told me the Ocillaris Clown was farm raised??? Maybe ,maybe not...And yes I do have a QT tank although small 10 gal with a hob wet/dry filter (seeded from main)and a heater w/ a small amount of livesand (1/4 inch deep or less)and a piece of liverock. I figured if I setup a small Qt tank then my spending will HAVE to remain small too...Oh and many pods in there too... I'm going to see what the LFS store has friday.

Six line wrasse for the pods maybe? Then again, a mandarin later might have too much competition.

Anybody think the tank is ready for a mandarin? If there's that many pods w/breeding places (rock crevices etc) already... well?

Re: mandarin

flamingonhot said:
if your still considering the mandarin check the profile i wrote about them:

http://www.th3wetspot.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=29&t=209&st=0#entry1135[/url]

When I clicked your link this is the error I recieved:
Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature.

Just so everyone knows Im in no hurry to get one ( A Mandarin) , Its just I didnt know how prolific these creatures were... There are so many on the glass and rock you cant even begin to count.

Sorry All,couldnt say no this time,let me explain.

This morning I went fish hunting just like I said and I went to a few places around here where I live and nothing was catching my eye,so I went to "one " more place and still nothing.When I was leaving the guy said I have a very colorful fish in the back I could sell you half price because its been here a little while. So I thought Ok ill bite lets see it, Well I damn near died, It was a very emaceated and discolored Mandrin that was on its side.
After a five hour drip acclimation he is now in my main tank EATING and no longer on its side...and the color looks a little better
I know I should have QT'd him but I didnt I just wanted to get him in there to eat, And the only other fish in my tank is a clown so if anything happens I will only have to QT him.
To All the nay sayer's and critizisers and any non believers Im sorry, I could not leave that little guy there to die knowing I have enough copepods to get him healthy enough to keep or give him to someone who can. I have never seen a fish so sunk in around the stomach I hope he makes it though the night.

As soon as I can I will post a pic of the little guy.
(waiting for batteries to charge)

Not QTing a mandarin is not an issue as most do not. Mandarin's rarely get ich and it would have probably died due to starvation if you had.

I hope you did not pay much and wish you the best of luck. If it is eating that is a great sign and maybe it was not too far gone. They say 98% of mandarins in the aquarium trade die of starvation for this very reason. If it is eating and you have as many pods as you say then it may have a good chance.

Keep us posted.

Good luck,

This really sounds like some "kool beans". I'm counting on there being a good pod base and reproduction and everything working out. Good luck.

afilter said:
I hope you did not pay much

No,I did not pay much the LFS sold him to me for $6. Also he did survive the night, atleast he looked alive under a red light. I will look again when the lights come on to make sure.

austinsdad said:
This really sounds like some "kool beans". I'm counting on there being a good pod base and reproduction and everything working out. Good luck.

I built a third pod pile in the tank to help with populating...That and with all the live rock and sand in there (90 lbs rock 40 lbs sand in main plus fuge) should be able to get him healthy and if not I will buy copepods until I can get him a new home...

"kool beans" ??? whats thats

Like a filter said, they don't get ich or parasites easily, they have a very thick slime coat and they shed it everyonce in a while.

If yo can't get the link to work then just go to th3wetspot.com and go to saltwater profiles. Im going to have fluff put it in the profiles on aquariumadvice as soon as I can too.

Back
Top Bottom