Copper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonnie3188

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
At the moment I've set up a QT to treat a fish with copper, who is recovering from ich. Everything is going fine and the fish should be back in my main within two weeks.
My question is...
I've been very very careful not to contaminate the water in my main tank with the copper water from my QT. So far so good!
Just wondering, how careful do you have to be? For example, when I put my net into my QT can I use it again in my main? I've been rinsing it out thoroughly and everything.. Same situation with buckets that I use for water changes etc.

Should I keep two completely separate sets of equipment?

Copper from what I hear sinks into everything. I'm going to try to take a crack at this so, if I'm wrong someone please correct me. I think your net should be fine to use in both. I would rinse it off to be safe but I dont think you need a new net for each tank. As far as your buckets go, yes, I'd use different ones because the copper could sink into the plastic and come out in your water in your main tank. Any other equipment I would just be cautious with. HTH

Your QT should have all it's own equipment to eliminate cross contamination of both disease and chemicals. I would not worry about using the net so far, but getting a second just for the QT would be a good idea.

I agree with the rest. New net and definitely new bucket. That copper will leech into the plastic.

You should just treat with sea chem cuprimine.It treats them just as quickly but way better for your fish.All you have to do to get rid of it is put carbon in and the medicine sticks to nothing.On the web sit they even said after you use carbon you can put corals back in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom