copper/heavy metal remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bige

Aquarium Advice Addict
So after I had a heater explode, I started running copper/heavy metal remover. I have run two bags in a month and they turn black within a week. Should I keep adding it till there is no color change? Will it ever stop changing color?

how big is your tank? maybe you should have don't a few 75% water changes to try and get everything out as well as run the heavy metal remover

29g with 20g sump. I actually did 1 90% water change, 75% every 2 days for a week. It killed almost everything immediatly then most left alive over a week. Has taken 4 months for me to keep coral again.

Are they sulfur based removers? Some of those heavy metal removers aren't too safe. I would keep adding until it stops turning black, as the reaction is believe is copper + sulfur --> copper sulfide (black)

When they stop turning black that means there is no copper, so I would keep going until they stop doing so. After that you should be fine.

Alright thanks. I might take it out and wait a week or so, then add back. It just seems like if there are no heavy metals then it would not change color. Maybe it changes colors anyway. But that doesnt seem right.

Get a copper test kit if you want, but if you currently have corals your copper can't be too high. Just keep it up for a while until it takes a real long time for it to turn black. Water changes will eventually get rid of what remains.

Good thought, why dont I test for it. OK. Maybe lfs has one so I dont have to buy the entire kit.

Back
Top Bottom