Copperband Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thor32766

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any of you out there with copperbands are they a good fish? Are they really delicate? Real sensitive to change. I have heard they dont live very long? Just opinions would be much appreciated.

All marine animals are sensitive to abrupt changes in their environment, so stability is very important. All butterfly fish are sensitive and their rate of longevity is not much in captivity unless their needs are given to them. All butterfly fish eat coral. Some are more specific, some others feed on variety of coral. Copperbands eat aptasias and are beneficial in any tank with live rock. They rarely bother other coral, but will nip at small polyps and sponge, feather dusters maybe. Raccoon butterflies are one of the hardier species as well as the copperband and not so demanding in diet, but even with them, their longevity is cut rather short in captivity. I personally believe butterfly fish are best left in the ocean given their needs are rarely ever met in captivity. They have to have coral protein in some fashion. There is butterfly foods that contain sponge and helps them live longer.

Make sure the tank is well matured...at least six months to a year and that the water parameters remain stable and the system, pristine. I'd never house a butterfly in a fish only tank without any live rock.

I have alot of live rock, no problem there. The tank has been running for about 8 months and parameters are great no problems there either. I was just wondering, if the copperband was a delicate fish. I think they are awesome fish. Just wanted to see what others had experieced with this fish. THanks for your time.

Sounds like you have a good environment for a copperband. How big is the tank? It should be long and large enough to accomidate the adult comfortably...though they do like to zip in and out of the rocks, they should be allowed ample open swimming space as well.

They are not impossible. I know of some people who have had their copperbands for several years.

Back
Top Bottom