Coral Banded Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting a Coral Banded Shrimp.

What are the pro's and con's of this shrimp?

Will it clean the fish?

Thanks.

I have one! the pros are it is an interesting animal that will clean up everything in the tank. All my fish are too small, so it doent clean them. Cons, he a my pepperment shrimp, and is sometimes agressive towards my damsel or me when i am arranging things in the tank.

I have a mated pair and love to watch them, they defend themselves if the fish come too close but other than that are very cool.
David, I noticed you have a Horse Shoe Crab... do you feed it something special?

I have a mated pair and love to watch them, they defend themselves if the fish come too close but other than that are very cool.
David, I noticed you have a Horse Shoe Crab... do you feed it something special?

If I'm correct, coral banded shrimp rarely act as cleaners in an aquarium. They are not friendly toward other shrimp, keeping one is fine. They will also go after small fish. I've had one for over a year now and he is interesting to watch. Great for cleaning up leftover food etc. HTH

Thanks for the info all.

No I do not feed my horseshoe crab anything special. As a matter of fact, he'll be going back to the lfs soon.

Thnaks. :wink:

II have learned that he sifts around and under your live sand and eats the stuff that makes it live. He will then (from what Im told) die. I am told by this forum that he can grow up to 1ft long. The lfs said no, but there out for the bucks...so...there you have it. He is cool though, when you can see him. I guess I have had him for 3 weeks now and have only seen him about 4 days in all.

:wink:

Hey Rev, The coral-banded shrimp is a cool looking shrimp indeed. They are very fun to watch but do not lend much value to your system. I would look into getting a scarlet cleaner shrimp instead. These are less aggressive and it is way cool to watch them clean your fish. you can also have more then one. they will actually clean my arm for me when I am doing maintenance. Just my opinion but I hope it helps...Lando

My peppermint will jump on my finger. Not sure if he cleans or anything but he does pick around on my finger. I have a CBS too but he usually only comes out at night.

Back
Top Bottom