Coral banded shrimp;

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClownMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a coral banded shrimp that seems to shed or molt it's shell once a month is this normal?

yes perfectly normal, they may shed more often, just make sure that you have the proper amount of Iodine in your tank in order for them to go through it.

I don't dose iodine at all. Should be taken care of through normal water changes. My CBS has been in my tank for almost a year.

I thought that sometime shrimps can molt more often it water quality or health is not up to snuff. I don't think mine molts that aften but I don't always see it. When mine lost an arm, he molted twice in a month to re-grow his arm back. Looks normal now :)

ellisz said:
I thought that sometime shrimps can molt more often it water quality or health is not up to snuff.

This can be true in some cases where such additives as iodine are added to frequently. Some people are under the common misconcetpion that molting more often is always good....too much iodine can cause the shrimp to prematurely molt to rid itself of the toxic levels in it's shell. If you're not dosing anything wouldn't worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom