Coral food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A store I've been speaking to says the majority of corals need some sort of food source added, as their zooanthellae can't provide it all.

Mark,

Anything you ever wanted to know about coral feeding can be found >>here<<. It's a six part series artcile on the subject. The link is part 6 and the other article links can be found at the bottom of the page.

FWIW, I do not target feed any coral in my tank. With general feedings of properly fortified foods and the occassional addition of phyto for the pod poulations and the like, you will not need to go to much trouble.

Cheers
Steve

I feed frozen gramma/brine/mysis and seaveggies to my fish every day. Just this will be enough then?

:)

Pretty much yes. Don't look at it the way you would a human or terrestrial animal. Just because something has a mouth it does not need large portions. There are many things within an established aquarium that will help feed the heterotrophic corals. Most of which you may never see but are there.

Read the articles I've linked to, I think you will find them quite informative.

Cheers
Steve

I guess if they really look like they need some phyto in the future, I can start using it.

Maybe I could do the same with carbon - see if I think the corals need it and then use it if so?

I'm not going to use phyto at the start, but I'm going to monitor my corals closely. What would be the signs/symptoms of them needing the phyto? And, if I start using it after I've seen these symptoms, should I be able to get them back to full health (assuming it was the lack of extra food that was the problem)? :)

Back
Top Bottom