coral for a true perc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
we have a ten gal mini reef we are seeting up, but so far no reef. we have a true perc in there and were trieing to figure out what corals we can put in for it. we dont want to get an anemone, but are there other corals that it might like and want to host?

I have heard that they sometimes will enjoy a leather toadstool. (sarcophyton) I have tank raised true perc's vs. wild caught. They do not seem to take to any coral. I have also seen percs hosting in an open brain coral.

And elegance is also a known toy that some percs like to play around in along with the alread mentioned Leather Toadstool.. Not all clowns will PLAY with corals but alot of them will.. I would try and Elegance as well as a Toadstool..

HTH,
James

"False" Perc (Ocellaris) are much more likely to take to a "substitute" host than are true Percs, as bizzybeas mentioned.
One of the most commonly hosted corals by clowns is the Toadstool, but I'm not sure how the Percs might take to it. The clowns do not "need" an anemone or any other type of host to thrive in captivity.

As far as the Elegance coral goes, they are a beautiful coral, but have a pretty poor survival record these days in the hobby. I would research it throroughly before considering a purchase.

HTH,

My maroon clown loved my flower pot coral. The flower pot eventually got used to it swimming all around, but it sucked in at first.

Back
Top Bottom