Coral from one lfs lost color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Akillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I know that coral looses color due to parameters and lighting, but all of my corals have perfect colors except 2. They were both bought from a lfs, and they're the only ones I got from that lfs. One is supposed to be a rainbow acan, the other I think is some kind of green montipora. How do I fix them? Why just the ones from the one lfs? Here's before and after pictures.

Attachments

• image-774868963.jpg
    image-774868963.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2579259333.jpg
    image-2579259333.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1446329912.jpg
    image-1446329912.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3729783082.jpg
    image-3729783082.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 103
Are they your two newest additions and what lighting did they have them under at the lfs and what are you using..from the pictures you've posted everything looks fine to me though

They were under t5s at the lfs, an LEDs in my tank...which is odd that they've had so much color change. Plus, all of the pictures are in my tank. And they're a few months old. They seem healthy and have been growing, they've just had a significant color change

They're not my two newest, they're a bit older than the rest

Id say everything is fine then..every tank is different even if setup identically which will effect a corals appearance..for example I bought a pink favia from one of my lfs and in my tank it has some neon green accent which never appeared in there tank :)

But before in my tank, they had full coloration and looked just like they did at the lfs. Why did they change over time? Can I get their color back? They're too dull now :(

What type of leds do you have some claim to be reef capable but are a bare minimum for a reef

Mrc8858 said:
What type of leds do you have some claim to be reef capable but are a bare minimum for a reef

What's your salinity @ ? And how many t5's were they under I would guess it has something to do with the lighting change .

I'm not sure exactly what types of LEDs they are, but they're definitely reef capable. My salinity is at about 1.024. They were probably under about 4 or 5 t5s. I just don't understand why everything but those two from the one lfs are flawless. And why would they have changed over time from the light? Wouldn't it be immediate? These are a couple of pics of other things in the tank... None of these have had any color change problems. And a pic of the LEDs...they were sitting the wrong way at the time, thats why they look small but longways they cover almost the full extent of the tank

Attachments

• image-3723450908.jpg
    image-3723450908.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3799708706.jpg
    image-3799708706.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1347867403.jpg
    image-1347867403.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image-512085357.jpg
    image-512085357.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2263757843.jpg
    image-2263757843.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 109
Akillian said:
I'm not sure exactly what types of LEDs they are, but they're definitely reef capable. My salinity is at about 1.024. They were probably under about 4 or 5 t5s. I just don't understand why everything but those two from the one lfs are flawless. And why would they have changed over time from the light? Wouldn't it be immediate? These are a couple of pics of other things in the tank... None of these have had any color change problems. And a pic of the LEDs...they were sitting the wrong way at the time, thats why they look small but longways they cover almost the full extent of the tank

They are looking very nice and colorful, so is your set up btw. Idk if the light would effect them immediately.I do know that My friend added a mushroom to his tank with LEDs and within the first 2 wk it bleached out .Does your light have a dimmer. ?

Akillian said:

What would you call the one in the second picture ? I have the same type , mines opens fully and folds out to the outside idk if that's normal but it seems to go back to normal here and there .

squidward said:
What would you call the one in the second picture ? I have the same type , mines opens fully and folds out to the outside idk if that's normal but it seems to go back to normal here and there .

Idk If you can tell by the pic but that's what I mean when I say fold out to the outside .

Attachments

• image-2774148242.jpg
    image-2774148242.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 83
Thank you! ;) My lights don't have a dimmer but they obviously have different settings. Blues, whites, and moonlights. Mines probably the same as yours, a paly I think, part of it was just closed when I took the picture...did your friend have the problem with anything else?

What you have looks like zoanthids... A little smaller than mine, right?

Too much light for the acan. Shield it almost completely from the light and it will color back up. I would put it on the far side of the tank away from the fixture.
The other is also LPS, and not a montipora. This too should be under less light, and both will benefit from target feeding.

They're both very low in the tank, pretty much at the bottom. Still too much? And what is the other one?

mr_X said:
Too much light for the acan. Shield it almost completely from the light and it will color back up. I would put it on the far side of the tank away from the fixture.
The other is also LPS, and not a montipora. This too should be under less light, and both will benefit from target feeding.

They're both very low in the tank, pretty much at the bottom. Still too much? And what is the other one?

It looks like cyphastrea to me. LEDs are much more powerful than fluorescent tubes. While they sometimes don't appear to be much brighter, they penetrate very well.

Back
Top Bottom