Coral heads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can tell you for a fact that the duncan has more heads. If i had a pic i would show you

I'm guessing that you are asking if your corals are growing new heads.
Duncan - Yes. Those little buds will get bigger.
Mushroom - Kinda. It is stretching out it's foot, and it can then split off a tiny piece, which becomes a new mushroom. Remember, they aren't true corals and are actually more closely related to anemones.

MacDracor said:
I'm guessing that you are asking if your corals are growing new heads.
Duncan - Yes. Those little buds will get bigger.
Mushroom - Kinda. It is stretching out it's foot, and it can then split off a tiny piece, which becomes a new mushroom. Remember, they aren't true corals and are actually more closely related to anemones.

Can the mushroom actually move? Or would I need to move them. I also have these 5 hairy mushrooms. Got a fiend that wants one. Can I pull it off if it has a foot?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I can tell you for a fact that the duncan has more heads. If i had a pic i would show you

Yeah, I was asking if these bumps were actually new heads starting to come out. The Duncan was my first coral ever, I'm excited for it!

Can mushrooms move...
Well, most sources agree that they can split, and they can let go of their hold and float till they find a new place, but cannot "walk" like an anemone. Most sources are wrong. They just walk really really slowly.
Can you pull it off? Yes. Will it recover? Probably. They're really tough little animals, but pulling it off the rock forcibly is rather traumatic. I'm all about patience. I would wedge some tiny, flat rocks up underneath the mushrooms (right up against the feet, poking) and in a couple weeks, see if they have attached to the new rock. Or do that and then make sure they get enough light and food, and maybe babies will move onto the new rocks.

MacDracor said:
Can mushrooms move...
Well, most sources agree that they can split, and they can let go of their hold and float till they find a new place, but cannot "walk" like an anemone. Most sources are wrong. They just walk really really slowly.
Can you pull it off? Yes. Will it recover? Probably. They're really tough little animals, but pulling it off the rock forcibly is rather traumatic. I'm all about patience. I would wedge some tiny, flat rocks up underneath the mushrooms (right up against the feet, poking) and in a couple weeks, see if they have attached to the new rock. Or do that and then make sure they get enough light and food, and maybe babies will move onto the new rocks.

Cool, I would rather not be cruel to the mushroom. I will try this method the 5 hairy mushrooms are about 4inchs across, they are huge! My red guy is only an inch. I really want a blue mushroom as well to surround my torch and frogspawn.

My pulsating Xenia has dripped some white "ooze" on a rock the other day. Now the "ooze" has about three new Xenia heads. That coral is growing a head a day. It's nuts!

Mushrooms can move, mine walks like an anemone, just slower, what would take an anemone a night may take a mushroom a week, but put them under something like in a shadow, they will move out of the shadow torwards the light.

another option to propegate mushrooms is you use a sharp knife and cut the mushroom off the rock then use an elastic band to hold it to a new rock or frag plug. in no time it will reattach. another option is to cut a pizza slice out of a shroom and attach that to a new rock. i preffer taking the whole mushroom off.

Back
Top Bottom