Coral issue, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my corals are not coming out like normal. My API KH test kit only goes to twelve drops, but I made it to 15 before it turned yellow. Have no idea what that means.

My Duncan is looking wrinkly, my galaxi is all pulled in, and my frogspawn appears to be extra skinny in the tentacles.

That is the salinity? Perimeters? Corals are a good indicator that things arent right

Salinity is 1.023, nitrate is at 15-20ppm, but I did aggravate the filter when cleaning it. Ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, don't know the ph. Using an API freshwater kit. Fish seem fine

Those trAtes could be tge thing annoying the corals. What type of lights do you have?

They have been in there for 1 week. I am acclimating them to the light at 2 hours in the morn and 2 hours at night.

Readingexcalibur said:
They have been in there for 1 week. I am acclimating them to the light at 2 hours in the morn and 2 hours at night.

Well i think the best thing that you can do is do a water change and try to slowly raise the salinity

Readingexcalibur said:
All run out and get some premise saltwater from the lfs. Hopefully the corals won't die tonight.

They definitly wont due tonight, dont worry!

Lol, first saltwater tank, have that unexplored feeling here. Freshwater, I can do all day, who can't I guess.

Crystal A said:
Get a saltwater test kit. A freshwater one won't give you the right readings I would think.

No it will for ammo, nitrite, nitrate. Ph wont work. Trick is you need a sw testing card

Ph works also, i use a freshwater api test kit on a saltwater tank. I know the ph works because I have a red sea carbonate hardness kit has ph as well and they test the same, and the only one that tests a little off is the ammonia, you have to adjust it up one on the card, like the .25ppm color is 0ppm, and .50ppm is .25ppm and so on

Saratj1 said:
Ph works also, i use a freshwater api test kit on a saltwater tank. I know the ph works because I have a red sea carbonate hardness kit has ph as well and they test the same, and the only one that tests a little off is the ammonia, you have to adjust it up one on the card, like the .25ppm color is 0ppm, and .50ppm is .25ppm and so on

Ph works?? Awesome. Yeah ammo is a bit greener

Well I couldn't find any salt water this late at night. Out of mix. And I re tested my nitrates and ph. PH is at 8.0 and nitrates are at 40. I am not feeding tonight and I will change the water first thing tomorrow! This happened really fast!

This isnt the cause of the issue, but turning off filters to clean will help if you bump it when cleaning. I take entire units off my tank if it is hob just to remove the filter to prevent the buildup from getting back into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom