Coral not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a Zoa and it's been a couple days now and it hasn't opened. I have plenty of water movement and my salinity is between 1.025-1.026
What's going on?

I don't know them off the top of my head but they are fine I've been checking and I have LEDs

Params are definitely needed and what type of lights you have before anyone can help you..

I know you said you have LEDS but that could mean you have marines land single brights which won't grow anything, or you could have radions..

I have marine lands with blue and white lights..the people at my local fish store told me those are fine

Nope take em back. Wont grow anything under those

I have marine lands with blue and white lights..the people at my local fish store told me those are fine

Sadly, they just don't have the power to grow corals. My lfs thought so too, I tried to tell them otherwise, and then corals that grew for years in the store are dead and gone.

[moderator edit] that's sad..I'm going to take back the coral tomorrow! What kind of lights do I need then?

Last edited by a moderator:
And where can I get cheap lighting for corals

Unfortunately te phrase "cheap lighting for corals" doesn't really exist. Having said that, what is your budget? What size tank again?

If its a smaller tank you could opt for some par30/38 bulbs.. If its larger go check out the 'lighting, best bang for your buck' thread. Very good information on lighting there.

Actually, i don't think it's a matter of lighting that's keeping the zoas closed up. If you didn't have enough light, they would still open and just reach for light. Sometimes zoas can take about a week to open. Water parameters would be the first thing I would check and be sure nothing is out of whack.
I do agree that the Marineland Double Brights or "Reef Capable" fixtures are weak.

I had some eagle eye zoas that did t open for almost 6 months. It turned out to have some sort of worms on it. I gave it a fresh water dip three days in a row and now it's taken off and grows really fast. Stays open all the time.

Back
Top Bottom