Coral placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottm84

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, when placing corals in your lovely aquariums to you tend to glue or epoxy them in place or just try settle them on a rock? Which is best?

I'm the extreme. I map out what I want and where i wanna place them then I epoxy them in place so I don't have to worry about snails, hermits etc knocking then over.

Nothing more annoying then coming home to nice corals sitting in the sand.

Convict2161 said:
I'm the extreme. I map out what I want and where i wanna place them then I epoxy them in place so I don't have to worry about snails, hermits etc knocking then over.

Nothing more annoying then coming home to nice corals sitting in the sand.

That happened to me. A colony of zoas has just fallen off my rocks and also happened with some green stars last week but those two seemed tricky to stick down so I didn't try but I have done so with xenias and various others. I'm just trying to place corals around my tank without keep messing with my rock work so it's fairly difficult keeping things in place or making do with the crevices or spaces in the rocks to place them

Scottm84 said:
That happened to me. A colony of zoas has just fallen off my rocks and also happened with some green stars last week but those two seemed tricky to stick down so I didn't try but I have done so with xenias and various others. I'm just trying to place corals around my tank without keep messing with my rock work so it's fairly difficult keeping things in place or making do with the crevices or spaces in the rocks to place them

I use superglue gel works good cures underwater

I do what I saw a aquarist called Sanjay do. I take some larger rocks and drill holes in them. Then my frag plugs can be easily inserted, rotated or moved if things don't pan out. The coral eventually over grows and hides the whole plug.

Attachments

• image-280844203.jpg
    image-280844203.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 126
Gregcoyote said:
I do what I saw a aquarist called Sanjay do. I take some larger rocks and drill holes in them. Then my frag plugs can be easily inserted, rotated or moved if things don't pan out. The coral eventually over grows and hides the whole plug.

Sounds like a good idea too

It just seems that every time I glued something down, I ended up having to move it.

+1 Every time I get a few new corals, I find myself wanting to rearrange, so nothing is permanently placed yet. Yes, my astreas are little bulldozers, and I'm usually righting a coral or two every few days, but until I'm happily stocked and I know the corals are all in their "happy place" I'll deal with it.....

+1 Every time I get a few new corals, I find myself wanting to rearrange, so nothing is permanently placed yet. Yes, my astreas are little bulldozers, and I'm usually righting a coral or two every few days, but until I'm happily stocked and I know the corals are all in their "happy place" I'll deal with it.....

Very true.. Im doing the same thing with my tank and corals. :D:D

ZacksFlowerhorn123 said:
Very true.. Im doing the same thing with my tank and corals. :D:D

Superglue gel is strong enough to hold when snails are pushing against it but you could still move it until it encrusts i usually lay them in there for a day or two moving to dif locations before glueing down but like i said even after glue their still movable i just didn have luck with epoxy

danbstrong said:
Superglue gel is strong enough to hold when snails are pushing against it but you could still move it until it encrusts i usually lay them in there for a day or two moving to dif locations before glueing down but like i said even after glue their still movable i just didn have luck with epoxy

I like to place coral where they contrast against other coral

I like to place coral where they contrast against other coral

That's exactly why nothing is permanently placed yet. Everytime I get something new in...... "that will look better next to that. No, wait, this looks better......" I swear, I think I'm worse than a woman when it comes to my tank (no offense, ladies). :lol:

While I do agree that layout is important, I am more concerned with how different corals interact with each other. Using a bit of know how, you can effectively use some corals to control spread of others.

Gregcoyote said:
While I do agree that layout is important, I am more concerned with how different corals interact with each other. Using a bit of know how, you can effectively use some corals to control spread of others.

Mine is sps dominant so its easy for me nothin is aggressive

While I do agree that layout is important, I am more concerned with how different corals interact with each other.

Trust me, that is one thing I monitor carefully.... whenever anything is moved, I not only watch for this, but also it's reaction to any change in light level and/or flow as well. I've got many that I've tried in various spots, and while I don't have your experience, I've learned to tell pretty quickly when they're not happy....

Yes...there are some general rules when doing a mixed reef that you don't have to worry as much about in a all SPS reef. I can't keep myself to one type of coral.

What kind of clue do you guys use? I saw a super glue at Meijers that had the cyanoacrylate stuff but it said warnings signs of getting to eyes and stuff. Wasn't sure if it would be safe underwater.

Jake337 said:
What kind of clue do you guys use? I saw a super glue at Meijers that had the cyanoacrylate stuff but it said warnings signs of getting to eyes and stuff. Wasn't sure if it would be safe underwater.

I use superglue gel

Back
Top Bottom