coral propagation-colt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
my monster of a colt has got to be fragged. Can someone tell me step-by-step, what the way to do this would be? I do not want to kill it, but it is huge and is smashing itself into the entire right side of my tank. Questions I have are....can I take more than one cutting at a time..it really needs pruning. I know I should take it out of the tank to do this, but how long should it stay in other waters before I can put it back without the toxins doing damage..

Put it in a large bowl or dishpan of tank water. Have another bowl of tank water handy. Hold the coral upside down over the first bowl and cut it down to size. Put what's left of the mother colony in the second bowl. I'd put it back in the tank in 5 minutes or so...plenty of time. The best way I've found to attach these is to strap them to a piece of rock with a narrow strip of bridal veil. I have wondered if you couldn't lay them in a bowl of rubble inside the tank and let them attach to it though. Colts are very tough...don't be afraid to cut it back. I think you'll have better luck with the frags if you can keep them at least 1" long...JMHO.
Logan J

I would also try to avoid cutting into the large trunk. Or any very thick branches, this will reduce the likelihood of infection.

ok, that is a big help, the branches are thick and many in number. I was going to cut off some of the bigger pieces that are at least a couple fingers thick and about 6 to 8 inches long..are these too big?

I was going to cut off some of the bigger pieces that are at least a couple fingers thick

Id say that is about the upper edge of thichness I would cut, if it were mine. I think it will be fine. After cutting the coral will slime profusely, don't be alarmed, just make sure it has plenty of flow so the slime doesn't choke it. You'll notice within a day it has healed over where it was cut and within a few days you should notice new growth.

ok, new problem. I went to pull the colt out of the tank and it has decided to attach to a 30 lb piece of baserock that alot more is stacked to. How does the banding thing work? There is no way I can take the coral out of the tank to work on it..

While Logan's method is better, no doubt. When I had my colt, I was in a simila situation as you are, I always fragged it in the tank. A sharp pair of scissors and good waterflow.

You don't have to cut it all at once either. Cut a couple of pieces today...wait a day or two, cut a couple more. That will allow less stuff to be released into the tank and it'll give the coral a chance to recover a little between cuttings. I'd make sure the skimmer was at full efficiency also. As large as your tank is, I don't think you'll have any problems though. I've cut some colts, finger leathers, toadstools, and kenyan trees in the tank at the store with no bad results. With a toadstool, you whack the whole head off it and cut it up like a pie.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom