Coral Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penguinsix

Aquarium Advice Regular
On my 2.5 gallon nano I have a 20 watt pc bulb on it giving 8.5 watts per gallon. Would I be able to keep any sps and if so what types? Would the high wpg be the cause of the demise of my xenia?

xenia likes alot of light. However, they also like a lot of flow and pristine water conditions. They stress heavily and will die if the temp gets much over 78 also.
Is it possible that your trumpet coral stung it to death? They have sweeper tentacles and should be kept a little apart from others. These are all just some possibilities. The possibility of sps is dependent on size and water quality I would think. The lighting is definitely enough.

The trumpet was 3 or 4 inches away from it. I guess I will pick up some sps from the lfs sometime soon then.

wow, that seems like a lot of lighting, but im not a lighting expert. some one else will surely be along to help, but i have an anemone and i only have a bit over 4 w/gallon, so i wouldn't think that 8 would be needed or desired, but i'm not sure.

The wpg rule is pretty much worthless IMO...

There are so many more considerations wihen it comes lighting. Depth of tank, glass canopy, no glass canopy, distance from light to water surface, distance from coral to light, and most importantly what type of light you're using. 100watts of pc is not the same intensity as 100w of MH.

IMO i'd be carefuly on what SPS corals you decide to add to your tank with only 20watts of pc lighting. You're corals wil be very close to you buls which will help. I'd def stay awary from some of the more light demanding ones such as acros...you may be okay with some montipora digita or some of the less light demanding types... but I'll let some of the experts chime in.

Back
Top Bottom