Coral Restrictions from Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shinok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I have 195 w of PC lighting in my 55 gallon tank and am wondering what corals I would be restricted to or if I would be able to have them if I put them higher in the tank.

Here is a paint pic of my tank :p

Im also worried because of the fact that 130 of the watts are on the left side of the tank and only 65 on the right. Does that lower the "total wattage" for the entire tank? Total should be a little over 3.5 WPG but I could be wrong with the placement.

LightingSetup.jpg

I was doing some research and am going to save some money up for some HQI lights. Convenience aside, is it better to get retrofit kits for HQI or like the orbit lights or w/e. Also I would need one for each side of the tank right, so would it be better to get 2X150 and have 5.5 WPG or just go for the 2X250?? And im really only seeing 10000k bulbs and not the 14000k. Are those interchangeable on any retrofit or does it have to be specifically for one or the other?

You should be good with most soft corals. and a few LPS. Check my info. for the list I have which would be appropriate for you set up. Yes placing corals under the light helps. Balancing with one more fixtur would be ideal.

Best bet is to get a good book like Sprung's corals which will show you in simple terms requirements for most species to include placement.

I would classify your current lighting a moderate.

HTH,

Agreed, most (sadly not all) soft corals would be great for your system. If you get mushroom corals, etc. it's best to place them on the side of the tank with the less amount of lighting.

Xenia, carnation coral(more of a filter feeder...best to wait until your other corals are doing okay), most tree corals, polyps, zoas, etc. are all great additions.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom