Coral Substrate to Sandbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MorayMadness

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok everyone i have finaly decided to do it . . i am transfering my 55g 2 year old reef tank with a Snowflake moray eel a tomatoe clown and his host bubble tip anemone. a carpet anemone, and tons of mushroms scattered along 60 lbs of live rock

i wanting to change the bed into sand to prevent buildup of waste that i cant get to and for various other reasons. how much sand would i need and what kind is preferred ?

thanks all

I used around 60 lbs in my 55 and it looks nice, goes up a little higher then the plastic base.
Again its all depends on your taste. Some only run 1-2" others run 6+, I like to have 3-4" so I would get 1 lb per gal and have about 5 extra on hand. This would be good for a 3+ SB. i think there is a SB calulator on the home page??
Good switch you will be happy with the sand bed.
I got LS for my reef and i used southdown play sand for my fowlr and is there a major difference NO.... So look for a safe paly sand and use that and then get a few lbs of LS and seed the top layer. Good luck..

Thank you very much ill look into it . . it just sucks though cuz my eel creates alot of waste and i cant get to the rocks under my reef and all that is bulding up and my nitrate has been off the hook lately :eek: 0X

Back
Top Bottom