Coralife salt mix, 3-4dKH ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fnscasey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a KH test on my Coralife salt mix, and found the alkalinity to be only 3-4dKH ?
Is it normal for marine salt to be low in alkalinity ?

Are you sure the test does not indicate in mEq/l as apposed to DKH ? Most often I find salt mixes to be much higher than you've indicated.

What test kit are you using?

Cheers
Steve

Using KH test kit by Aquariumpharm( www.aquariumpharm.com )
As indicate in the test kit that
" The Carbonate Hardness value is determinedby the number of drops of the reagent that must be added to turn the water in the test tube bright yellow. Each drop is equal to 1* dkh or 17.9ppm KH."

So when i tested the water, by the 3-4th drop the water turn from blue to yellow. So i assume to be 3-4dKH.

Might be a faulty test kit. Might want to take a water sample to the LFS and have them test to verify. That really seems quite low...

Cheers
Steve

Or is it i'm using dechlorinated tap water for mixing the salt that yield the low ALK level ?

Not likely, if anything the tap water would usually make the alk slightly higher dpending on hardness. Test the tap water after you add the dechlorinator for ph/alk and then again 24 hrs after adding the saltmix.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom