Coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think water stability/quality is the main reason some can grow it and why others can't.... I put this R/O unit I'n my tank 2 months ago and it's growing I'n it like Niño Browns bankroll :)

Attachments

• image-2477931439.jpg
    image-2477931439.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 146
I'm sure there is some science behind it's propagation. As I said, it is also interesting it grows on power heads. I have some power heads that were in use for years that are just a clump of Coraline algae.
I think everyone agrees that good water quality and plenty of calcium is a good start. My LFS cultures live rock and grows Coraline algae on artificial reef rock in a tank on his bottom shelves. Very low light levels and rocks get covered in a few months time. The Purple Up works as well if all the rest of the conditions are there.

I'm sorry big guy. Didn't mean to lie but it's true I did. Actually I didn't mean to it's a UV sterilizer 10 watt. Sorry to get ur hopes up lil fella...

carey said:
My calcium is at 500 and the coralline is taking over my tank. I also have decent lighting too and pretty good water parameters. I really feel it's a combination of all three factors.

Spot on!

bavass said:
My calcium is 470 my alk is 9.5, Nitartes are 2-5ppm, Phosphates are undetectable, mag is 1400, great lighting and I can't get it to grow I sit and wish the heck out of it, but what I have just stays.

Have you tried transplanting it? What I did to speed up the process is scraped some off a rock with a good bit on it and transplanted it to rocks that didn't have any at all. But a warning: once you get it to grow it will take over ie: all over glass etc. Which you have to scrape it off, it's crazy :) but pretty

tomorrow im gonna try to take a shot of this nassarius snail that has coralline algae growing on its shell in a weird swirling pattern

Have you tried transplanting it? What I did to speed up the process is scraped some off a rock with a good bit on it and transplanted it to rocks that didn't have any at all. But a warning: once you get it to grow it will take over ie: all over glass etc. Which you have to scrape it off, it's crazy :) but pretty

Yep twice a week I scrap some off into a powerhead. I have some on a few rocks it just never grows never dies. Been the same amount for almost 2 years now.

3-M.jpg

I would surley buy some purple up it works great if your seeding your tank. Check you phos as well that should be as close to zero as you can get. Are you working with a sump?

If i am correct Purple Up is just an additive that raises calcium and alkalinity, also has magnesium and strontium aid in rasing levels that coraline need to grow. I test and add for each of those. I am dosing a 2-part system from BRS and if I start adding purple up it will raise my calcium and alk more. My Phosphates are undetectable and nitrates are between 2-5ppm.

I would surley buy some purple up it works great if your seeding your tank. Check you phos as well that should be as close to zero as you can get. Are you working with a sump?

Purple up can't seed a tank with coralline, it does help with it growing though. I throw some in every couple weeks if I remember. lol My calcium last test was at 500 so I think I'm good. :-D

Ya. My statement was if your seeding your tank addsome purple up to help with the seeding process. I know purple up can't seed your tank silly!

One almost sure fire way to get it to grow is a Kalkwasser drip. It takes a bit more work and you need to set up a dosing rig as it has to be added very slowly and almost continuously. But it is a great source of calcium that seems to set clams, hard corals and pink coral algae off. It's old school, but it works.

Our coralline is encrusting the pump for our octopus skimmer in our sump. The pump has been in the tank for about 2 months. The coralline starting growing there about 2 weeks ago. It is growing in the skimmer as well so even though I don't know what helps it grow, I am sure that flow doesn't inhibit it's growth.

Attachments

• image-3061082390.jpg
    image-3061082390.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 144
Back
Top Bottom