Coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do I get it? Tanks currently been set up at my house for the past year. Before that at neighbors for three. All parameters are good and calcium kept at 440-460. I have tried scraping what little I do have and putting it in the water flow. I also have tried purple up. I know purple up doesn't contain any spores, just buffers/calcium. Any help would be appreciated. Current lights are 2x 175 20k mh and 2x 96 watt 10k pc.

image-784232507.jpg

Pic of tank just taken.

Add some rock with a nice amount of coralline. Then it's just a waiting game with your specs. Make sure to keep calc up.

Yeah bro just seed it with coralline algea and I say a week or 2 u will notice some on other rocks and add purple up I been using it for about a month and there is coralline algea in every piece of rock

Make sure your strontium levels are high. Coralline algae is comprised largely of strontium. Usually it isn't low but surprisingly some people have lower than needed amounts. Also, aerating your RO water before mixing your salt can help stabilize your calcium, alkalinity and pH levels if your not monitoring them. You'll need good water flow of course. Very high light levels can make growing it hard for some people, especially MH. Not always, but it does prefer low bluer light in general. First step would be to check your strontium and alkalinity.

When you scrape, turn off your skimmer and remove your mechanical filter pads or sock for about half a day to keep the spores from getting removed. that way they can settle around much better. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom