Coraline Algae ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forzaazzurri

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do you get it ??

My tank is about 4 months old. Is this too young ?

Has anybody ever tried using a product such as
Carib Sea - Purple Up ?

Speaking through my experience, I used purple up about a year into my reef. It definitely worked BUT...... For awhile there my calcium kept dropping pretty low, and I'm thinking it was because the coraline started going ape which used a lot of calcium. I read a post on here a few months ago about someone wanting to speed up the process and a great response was be careful what you wish for. And that's the truth because I'm always scraping CA off the front and sides of my tank but it does look cool on the back. Take your time and don't rush it.

Calcium and alkalinity levels (along with magnesium) will cause it to spontaneously grow. Until those levels get high enough, no algae.

This is two weeks growth. It's a pain.

Attachments

• image-133440206.jpg
    image-133440206.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 92
I always thought coraline algae is beneficial to the tank. Carib Purple up increases calcium for coraline and corals to consume. If it goes down it means it is being consumed faster than what you add. Take note that magnesium also affects the level of calcium. But to answer the poster's question "how do you get it?". You need to have a stable tank first and introduce a live rock with coraline algae then use that additive.

If you are not growing coralline algae, you cannot grow any hard corals or clams. I highly suggest using a two part cal/alk additive and forget Purple Up.

I always thought coraline algae is beneficial to the tank.

Not necessarily beneficial as much as an indicator of good tank health. I've got some, but thankfully I also have some asterina starfish keeping it in check...... I don't want it everywhere.

Have been using seachem reefbuilder( for alk) and calcium advantage in my tank for two years now... Reef builder is now in my topoff water...
Great product..

image-2717092740.jpg

My tank is just exploding with the beginnings of CA. The brown is turning lime green and then pink. I'm stoked but am already seeing how much maintenance I'm going to be doing in the future. Looks F****N awesome though!

Nice, i always advise people to scrape some off with a razor blade when it starts growing & let float around the water column if you want it to spread

Nice, i always advise people to scrape some off with a razor blade when it starts growing & let float around the water column if you want it to spread

That's basically what I'm doing when I clean the glass right? I just grad my razor and scrape the glass and let the stuff blow around, although I suppose I could scrape the rocks with my fingernails and that would do as well. Great Idea!

Glad I thought of it... :ROFLMAO:

When it starts cranking you will need to keep a eye on your cal and alk. I like it scraping and maint. is part of the game.

I'm already dosing for Hardness at least twice a week. I'll have to do a calcium test but every time I test it's over 520. I agree the Maint helps to keep me connected to my tank. I'm so into what's going on with the other stuff I hardly look at Tommy, my Maroon.

Back
Top Bottom