coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of LR with Coraline and some time. Basically mother nature does the rest if you have good tank stat's and water flow.

i have my tank for a year but not much coraline. how come? testing shows everything fine. wht's the problem here?

how often do you change your water? what is your calcium? KH? how much flow do you have? Do you maintain a steady temprature?

water change once in 2 weeks. ca is 450. kh... i don know. have lots of slow. and yes, steady temp.

Calcium and Water Flow make the biggest difference I've seen / heard. Some of the more salty dogs might be able to validate this.

Calcium and Water Flow make the biggest difference I've seen / heard. Some of the more salty dogs might be able to validate this.

450 should be plenty. I am stumped. maybe an excessively low KH? thats also called ALK. BTW. Your KH should be around 8-10 DKH american thats between 136 ppm and 171 ppm. But calcium should be the biggest driving force behind corraline growth. I don't mean to sound stupid but do you have a source of corraline algae in your tank? it needs to be introduced to grow.

i have it on my lr. but then just a little on the glass. well... even on the lr also not much. and i don know why

I used bionic, my tank has been up and running for roughly 4.5 months. hob overflow is completly covered glass is starting to get covered and rock is pretty much covered, my ca level is 275 and my dkh is 12, embarrased to say i don't do water chages either, I am going to start I just mixed up salt water

Have to jump in here... Is there any way to promote colors OTHER than purple? I have green coraline, quite a bit of it, but have read that purple ends up taking over.

I had a lot of the green coraline (and actually didn't care for it much), but the purple has completely taken over my tank. After the tank was about 8 months old is when it started to flourish. What I did was buy some LR from the LFS that was <u>completely</u> covered in LR and then just let it take time. I did plenty of regular water changes and kept my calcium high. It started to take off like mad when I started using Purple Up. Most people will say you don't need to burn $$ on Purple Up (any high amounts of calcium will work ~450 range tops), but it really worked for me. It seems to prolificate around high areas of flow (like on the glass where the powerhead flows). Also, the more I scrape it off the front glass, the more it spreads around the tank, and grows like crazy.

HTH

When I added LR rubble that had a lot of coraline on it to my canister filter, it really took off in my tank. I think the rubble and flow of water around it caused the spores to spread. Mine isn't awesome yet, but it's definitely growing now.

but the thing, the coraline grow on my front tank instead on the back. why? i saw other people growth on the back. :evil:

Back
Top Bottom